Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
hhikers
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

icon won't go away

A tiny white icon that looks like a cassette tape is displaying on my home screen. It has no numbers with it. I'm thinking it's a voice mail icon, but my voice mailbox is empty - i've checked it several times.

Can someone identify the icon and then tell me how to get rid of it. I've already taken out my battery several different times (although not for 30 minutes as one post suggested for a missed call icon that wouldn't go away).

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: icon won't go away

Here are you choices,... do these in order until it is resolved.
  1. Call your voicemail and clear the message.
  2. Call your BB from another line and leave a message. From you BB, call your voicemail and clear and delete your messages.
  3. Hard Reset the BlackBerry by holding ALT, CAP (right Shift key), and DEL (or pulling out and reinserting the battery)
  4. Change your theme and see if it persists, and change back to your desired theme. (Options > Theme > select.)
  5. Wipe and reload your OS.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
hhikers

Wonderful! The easiest option of calling my voice mail from another phone and then checking voicemail and deleting the message also cleared the icon. Thanks! I am SO happy i don't have to do a hard reset.
JSanders

Good to hear you cleared it.

On the hard reset (a battery pull, reinsert, reboot) is easy and commonly recommended to fix most glitches on a BlackBerry. I do it about every two days on my BB to clear the browser cache, regain free memory, etc.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Gojubill
My Device: 8900

I get the same problem ONLY when I turn my phone off and on, I got rid of it by calling my voicemail real quick, making sure I don't have anything new and then just hang up, it goes away
bkrolik

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!! I've been perplexed by this problem for a week. No one at my wireless carrier service could help me and I must admit, I was horrified.

I did the "call your phone and leave a voice mail message" method and it worked like a charm! Finally, a solution!

Some of the techs @ my wireless phone company (don't want to say who) are idiots.

Again.......THANKS!

TheDACshow

Hi, I have the same problem on my Storm.  None of the suggestions have worked for me.  I haven't wiped the OS yet because I don't know how.  Any suggestions?
JSanders

That last option really is a drastic fix for the issue.

Often, if none of the above work, you really really do a have  a voicemail waiting.

Have you also called your carrier and asked them IF they could clear your voicemail box?

Knowledge Base Updates