Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
pink8520
My Carrier: m1

keys not working properly

i have been using a blackberry curve 8520 for a year now.

just two days ago, the phone is not working properly.

i cant use the "E" key or the number 2 at all now. and my answer/reject calls buttons, menu , back keys and ALT key are not working properly as well.

the scroll is not working as well as when my handphone goes into blackout mode( after i have password lock it) as usually if i just want to check my phone briefly for the time or new msg, i would just roll the scroller lightly.

but it does not work this way anymore.

so if i want to check something now or answer an incoming call, i have to press and hold one of the keys for at least 5 secs before the screen lights up or i can answer the following call.

IS THIS A HARDWARE ISSUE?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: keys not working properly

Hi

pink8520 wrote:

i have been using a blackberry curve 8520 for a year now.

just two days ago, the phone is not working properly.

i cant use the "E" key or the number 2 at all now. and my answer/reject calls buttons, menu , back keys and ALT key are not working properly as well.

the scroll is not working as well as when my handphone goes into blackout mode( after i have password lock it) as usually if i just want to check my phone briefly for the time or new msg, i would just roll the scroller lightly.

but it does not work this way anymore.

so if i want to check something now or answer an incoming call, i have to press and hold one of the keys for at least 5 secs before the screen lights up or i can answer the following call.

IS THIS A HARDWARE ISSUE?

Probably not.

The Blackberry is designed to be reset by removing the battery whilst the device is powered-on. Leave the battery out for a minute or 2.

See if that resolves the problem.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasha1821
My Carrier: 02

Hi!

I came looking on here after waking up this morning with my e, alt and some other keys not working and my phone keeps going onto  some sort of standby mode with the screen off until i hold down the red phone key to get it back on! I couldn't believe it when I found your post, we have exactly the same problem! I've tried restarting it but it is just the same so my next step is going to be to try and update it even though I only did that a week or so ago. If you find out what it is please let me know! 2199c16b :smileyhappy: thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pink8520

i have restarted 3 times and no it doesn't help.

thanks anyway. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasha1821
My Carrier: 02

I phoned my network provider just now and I was told to restart, wipe the sim and try again. I did and it didn't work so she told me to go to a local o2 shop and they will send it off. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pink8520

my warrenty has expired so i can't do much. but i can try check out tomorrow with one of the local repair shops for blackberry. hope that there will be good news to tell. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400

pink8520 wrote:

my warrenty has expired so i can't do much. but i can try check out tomorrow with one of the local repair shops for blackberry. hope that there will be good news to tell. 

Hi, you can reload the device yourself

This what I did to completely wipe my BB. I wrote this before starting and printed it off.

If your device is functioning, perform a backup now if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with
BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

1. In the device Options, click Security.
If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
3. Click Continue.
4. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

On some new versions of BlackBerry software, the menu navigation is slightly different.

1. Go to Options.
2. Select Security Options.
3. Select General Settings.
4. Click the Menu key.
5. Select Wipe Handheld.
6. Click Continue.
7. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1. Connect your device to your computer.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Update my device.
3. Do one of the following:
* To download an update, click Get update.
* To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.

Ensure the new OS is the one you prevously downloaded.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pink8520

hello,

that sounds like a good point to try. much cheaper than sending for repair.

only problem i am worried i can't do a proper wipe. -_-

thanks!

:Yes:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pink8520

thanks for the advice but it only gave me a tempory moment of happiness. the same problem are still there but I can answer the calls a tad faster.

looks like time for a new phone. :No:

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400

Hi again

I'm going to re-post the instructions after I ammended them. What I believed to be a total wipe, wasn't. Its worth going through the entire process again. Before I do repost the instructions, lets consider a different angle

http://dannedelko.com/blackberry/how-to-clean-your-blackberry-curve-keyboard.html

Anyways, new instructions

This what I did to completely wipe my BB. I wrote this before starting and printed it off.

If your device is functioning, perform a backup now if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software (DTS)
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps.

1) Download JL_Cmder from http://www.4shared.com/get/oqP9V-2Q/JL_Cmder_v19.html

2) Install JL_Cmder to computer.

3) Double check you have already backed-up the BB. If you DO NOT, you will lose ALL data.

4) Make sure the DTS is closed and plug in the BB to computer via USB

5) Go to the JL_Cmder on your computer and double click it to start. Now,this may take a few tries to connect, so keep trying until it does.

6) On the first screen, Press any key to continue.

7) Now, if your device uses a password, enter it now. If not, press "N"

8) Press 4 to initiate the WIPE

9) Press "Y" to continue

10) Now type "blackberry" to continue

11) On the BB you will see a white screen with a'507' Error. Don't worry, this is what you want! You are now ready to install the OS.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1). On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Device > Update my device.

2). Click View Other Versions. Click the version of the new OS you previously downloaded.

3). Click Install. The DTM will install the OS and then provide you with a list of applications to install. If you have had difficulties with an app, do not install it.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Please use plain text.