Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

salenaward
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Telstra

mobile enhanced SMS

I keep being charged for "mobile enhanced SMS" by my phone company, and they tell me this is because there is a particular setting clicked on on my blackberry, but I don't know which setting this is. I don't want to be charged mobile enhanced SMS. Does someone know which setting to turn off on the blackberry to achieve this? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: mobile enhanced SMS

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I've no idea what that setting is...it does not correlate to anything I know of nor what I can research in the public KBs. Therefore, I'd recommend you talk to your mobile service provider...their BB support people should be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
salenaward
My Device: Blackberry Curve

Thanks for your reply.

I am with Telstra, and over the past 6 months I have kept calling them to find out what the mobile enhanced SMS charges were. The last call I made to them was the first time their support person said that it was a blackberry setting which was making me get charged 5 cents per SMS as an enhanced SMS and I have to speak to blackberry to turn it off so I am trying to work out how to find out from blackberry what the setting is.  Telstra have been unable to help me further with my blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, sorry again to inform you that Telstra has fobbed you off on this one. Blackberry is in control of no charges to your account...Telstra is 100% in control of all charges to your account (unless you happen to purchase from AppWorld and use the carrier billing method). Further, end users have no ability to contact BlackBerry directly for anything at all. Contractually, all support must start with Telstra, who can escalate your case into BlackBerry if necessary...but as an end user, you have no ability to bypass Telstra and contact BlackBerry (well, not for free...there is a fee based method). That is how the support model works for everyone, and everyone is contractually bound to it.

From what you are telling me, I can only deduce that you have yet to find someone at Telstra who is properly trained in BlackBerry devices, services, and support. Sadly, my only advice to you is to keep trying, but do not let them fob you off...if someone tells you that you must contact BlackBerry, insist that they tell you exactly how to accomplish that, since you are aware that the only way you, as an end user, can do that is by escalation from Telstra. Don't let them fob you off.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
jwe34405
My Device: Z10

Hi.  I don't knw if you have managed to resolve your problem.  If you have, great.  If you haven't, read on because I believe you soon will have.  My wife recntly acquired a Balackberry Z10 (on Telstra) and we encountered the same Mbile Enhanced SMS item on our bill.  I found your post and thought - oh dear!  But I found a Telstra person who said he knew what the problem was.  We have changed a setting and, fingers crossd, it will now be Ok - the proof will be in the next bill - or the one after that.  In BlackBerry Hub Settings > Text Messages > SMS there is a setting called Confirm Delivery.  This was set to on.  Change it to off is all that was needed.  We noted afterwards that all sent texts previously had a little blue box with a D in it - presumably denoting 'delivered'. Now they have a grey box with a tick in it - I guess denoting sent.  I hope this helps you ... or others in the future.

Please use plain text.