Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
CeeeWeeed
My Device: Bold 9780

my blackberry bold 9780 SD card is not working.

Everyone please help me out. I was at a point where my blackberry froze and than I pulled the battery out and inserted back. Than, after restarting and going back in, I realized all my photos and musics are gone. I tried calling rogers for technical support but they didn't help at all = =" Can someone please give me some advice or help me?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: my blackberry bold 9780 SD card is not working.

Hello,

Please expand on what exactly is happening. In your subject line, you say the SD card is not working. But, in your message, you say you cannot find photos and music. Those two things could have completely separate root causes...so please expand. Can you see the SD card, but there is no data? Or do you not see the SD card at all?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CeeeWeeed
My Device: Bold 9780

ok so, what exactly happened was I was browing with my blackberry bold. Then after a few minsutes, it froze for a while. So I decided to pull the battery out and restart the device. Than after going back in, I realized all my pictures on my camera album and all my songs are gone. So I tried fixing it but my device says that "A media card is not presently inserted in the device" So I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the device or the SD card. I tried pulling the card out and inserting it back in but I still don't have any luck. Can someone please help me out? I really need it fixed. Thank youuu! Very appreciated!:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

CeeeWeeed wrote:

ok so, what exactly happened was I was browing with my blackberry bold. Then after a few minsutes, it froze for a while. So I decided to pull the battery out and restart the device. Than after going back in, I realized all my pictures on my camera album and all my songs are gone. So I tried fixing it but my device says that "A media card is not presently inserted in the device" So I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the device or the SD card. I tried pulling the card out and inserting it back in but I still don't have any luck. Can someone please help me out? I really need it fixed. Thank youuu! Very appreciated!:smileysad:

Ah yes, that is much more helpful indeed...but you didn't say what you did to try and fix it. Nevertheless, the message is clear. Try this sequence:

1. With power on, remove the battery
  2. Remove the media card
  3. Insert the battery and allow it to fully boot up (wait about 20 minutes) and settle down
  4. Media > Untitled.jpg > Explore -- make sure that it can see Device Memory OK and that it has no hint of a media card
  5. Remove the battery again (with power on, of course)
  6. Insert the media card
  7. Insert the battery and again wait about 20 minutes
  8. Now try to Explore again and see if it has found the media card

If this sequence fails, then you will need to determine if your media card has gone bad or if your BB has. To determine this, you must put your media card into a different BB that is known to be able to properly read media cards. You also must put a different known-good media card into your BB. This will determine which one is bad. If the media card is fine, you can use a media card reader on a PC to retrieve the files (assuming you didn't enable encryption, of course).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Visitor
FSio
My Device: 9780

sdgardne I ran the procedure that you shared, but the final result was the same.

I mean,

After turn on my BB 9780, waiting about 20 min, I inserted the media card so a message  appears saying:

"Media Card Inserted. All media on the Media Card will be automatically added to the library"

then about 15 seconds later a new message appears saying: "Media Card removed"

I tried to remove the Media Card but It is useless, though I remove the Media Card and insert it again, the BB does not recognize it. Just when I remove de battery (a hard reset) then I can repeat the process, insert the Media Card and after 15 sec message says that MEdia Card was removed.

Also I formatted the Media Card using my laptop, where the Media Card is working properly.

I tried using a different Media Card insert it into my BB, but the BB does the same.

I upgraded the software version (firmware) of my BB and the same behaviour happen.

Until this point, I can say that the hardware (Media Card case/holder) is working in BB, so then the software seems be "almost" guilty, but I'm not sure.

Let me know if there is a software to install into BB as debugger, in order to understand why my BB is having this behaviour, or if you knows the way to fix it.

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

FSio wrote:

Until this point, I can say that the hardware (Media Card case/holder) is working in BB, so then the software seems be "almost" guilty, but I'm not sure.

I actually disagree with you there. From all you stated, I judge that the BB has a hardware problem with the media card reader. Witness...

1. Your media card works fine in your PC
  2. No matter what, your media card does not work correctly in your BB

The next step toward more firmly determining this is to find another BB -- one that you know 100% has no problems with media cards. If your media card functions fine in that BB, then that would indicate your BB to be the problem. Further, if that other BB's media card does not work in your BB, then that further indicates your BB to be the problem.

I do not believe it to be a software problem with your BB...you have, as you stated, upgraded your BB software...typically, this would rule out software as the root issue (though a clean OS wipe/reload would be a better diagnostic approach than a simple software upgrade process). Rather, based on what you have presented, I believe that your BB hardware has somehow failed, rendering it incapable of properly dealing with a media card. More detail than that requires hands-on by a qualified hardware technician.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
devilzlitangel
My Device: BB 9780

**apologizing 1st that this isn't a quick reply/read**

do you think a hard reset help the problem that this person is having with the SD card and her BB? b/c, i actually have the exact same problem. idk, if BB's have an expiration date and the longest one has every had a BB, but I've own a BB8900 before and never encountered this issue.

in my case i do a soft reset quite often (pulling battery out with the power on). my BB has a super lag and even freezes alot as well.

I use an 8BG sd card.

I switched my mytouch 2GB sd card and the Bb 8GB sd card. The mytouch recognizes all the pictures and the music in the 8GB sd card but the BB does not recognizes the 2GB sd card at all.

conclusion, DUH, the BB's sd card department is not recognizing the sd cards at all.

even in the action of inserting or exerting the sd card, its like nothing is happening, no notices or warnings.

btw, i've done reupdated the os, but still the same issue.

imma try the hard reset where i will erase all datas and restore everything, but i have a feeling its a lost cause..

any advice????????
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

From what you describe, I would deduce that your assumption is correct...that the card reader itself, inside of the BB, is the problem. The resolution attempts you state may or may not work...there is no way for anyone, especially at an internet distance, to know for sure.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.