Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

problem setting up email

hello everyone, i reccently purchased a vodafone bb 8900 from my friend, i got it unlocked today and i am currently using an 02 sim card. My mate had his emails set up on the phone but deleted it before passing the phone on.

My problem is when i try to set up my emails i go to setup / setup wizard / email setup, there is no option to create or add an email account. Only the option to use a work  email account with an enterprise server. And there is no shortcut to Email settings in the setup folder.

does anyone know how to set my emails up from here??

ps. this is my first blackberry and i am a complete novice with this sort of stuff so if you could keep it simple it would be much appreciated  thanks Ryan

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: problem setting up email

Yes, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan from your carrier.

Call 02 and ask for the BlackBerry Data Plan for your account or tariff.

Without it, you have a nice device which will work for a WiFi-connected browser. No RIM push email or other applications which require the data plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

HI there!

A few things for you...

KB05099 Steps to take before selling, or after buying, a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=NewBlackBerryUsers

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/setup.jsp#tab_tab_email

KB03087 Set up the BlackBerry Internet Service, BlackBerry mail and messaging, or BlackBerry Mail account

It is likely that some of the seller steps in the first item were not completed...those must be done before proceeding. I suggest starting over. Plus...did your friend have it on BES? If so, there are some further steps (in that chart) that must be carried out.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

thanks for the reply!

sorry to sound a bit slow but what is BES?  should i wipe it and then call 02 for the data plan? thanks ryan

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

sorry to sound a bit slow but what is BES?

BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Service (or Solution, or Server)...basically a server, inside of a firms network, that is the bridge between their internal email (e.g., Exchange, Notes, etc.) and the corporate BB's.

smith39 wrote:

tshould i wipe it and then call 02 for the data plan?

Probably -- but before you wipe it, you should ensure that all of the seller steps in the flowchart have been completed.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

All that can be done, probably should be done... but you still won't get your personal email settings UNTIL you contact 02 and get the BlackBerry Data Plan on your account.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

thanks alot for the help! ill have a crack at it and see how it goes
New Contributor

I had basically the same problem (only offered a BES email setup) BUT I'm fairly sure that I saw the POP3 email setup option when I first had the phone.

There are two possible options:

1) I had the phone switched on and was browsing it for quite a long time before I inserted any SIM card.  Maybe it's when I inserted the SIM and the phone noticed that I didn't have a BB Data Plan that it deleted the email option?

2) I installed all the CD software on my PC and then upgraded to all the latest programme versions, which made a lot of changes to my phone - perhaps that's when I lost the email option?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

New Contributor
My Device: storm 2 9550
My Carrier: China Mobile

Hello, Budy,

My problem is totall same with you. Did you solved the problem? I am in China, using China Mobile, GSM, 2G network. What is Data Plan? When i got through China Mobile service line, the recepitionist didn't know what is data plan at all? because we ususllly use GPRS.

Henry
New Contributor
My Device: storm 2 9550
My Carrier: China Mobile

Dear Budy,

I got the same problem. how to get the Enterprise Activation password provided by Blackberry Enterprise Server admistrator ?  Because i want to use work email if i cannot build personal email (Outlook )on my Blackberry.  thanks very much.

Henry