Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
holly_berry
My Device: Curve 9360

"Blackberry message memory is full!" when it's not - please help!

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help me please. I have a Curve 9360 (OS 7.1.0.336) that I've only owned for a few months. About a week ago, out of the blue, I started to get the message: "Blackberry message memory is full! Please delete some sms messages". I know the memory isn't full for three reasons -

Firstly because I have plenty of memory left on the phone;

Secondly because I can send as many messages as I want and make them as long as I want - so I am actually increasing the overall amount of messages. The message only pops up when I try to receive a message, and only by deleting received messages will it let another one through;

Thirdly because I can, for example, delete a text message that is 1 message long (in the first 160 characters) and receive one that is 7 messages long (the limit for blackberry sms). So in this sense I am also actually using more memory.

This seems like a glitch to me, but I have no idea how/why it arose, or any idea how to fix it.

I have tried a battery pull, which didn't do anything.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: "Blackberry message memory is full!" when it's not - please help!

Please go to Options and type "storage" in the search bar. What is the available "application memory"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
holly_berry

Hi, the free application memory is 133.7 MB.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Ok. Sounds reasonable. Now go to Options >Status. Once on the page hit the menu key and select "Database Sizes". Once the sizes are up you can hit the menu key again and select "Copy Sizes". Paste somewhere you can somehow copy into this thread...email to yourself or login directly from your BB and paste in. We just want to know the database sizes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hi holly_berry

Welcome to Support Forums

In addition to what John suggested please check a minor setting on your device like On your HomeScreen open Text Messege > Press the Menu Key > Options > Scroll down to SMS and make sure that the field " Leave Message On SIM Card " is UNticked or UNchecked .

Also Open Main Message Folder > Press the Menu Key > View Folder > Scroll down to Inbox > SMS ( Inbox ,OutBox , SIM Card Inbox ) delete If any unwanted Messages from there.

KB28736  : When receiving an SMS message, an error "BlackBerry message memory is full! Please delete some SMS messages." is displayed.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
holly_berry

Hi John_Clark,

Thank you for your reply and my apologies for the delay in responding.

Here are the database sizes:

Database Sizes

Total Size: 20855.9K

Address Book - Default: 28/11.0K
Application Permissions: 1/0.1K
Attachment Data: 0/0.0K
Attachment Data - Calendar: 0/0.0K
Browser Bookmarks: 8/2.8K
Browser Cache: 1/6.6K
Browser Channels: 0/0.0K
Browser Folders: 2/0.1K
Browser Messages: 0/0.0K
Calendar - BlackBerry Calendar: 20/10.8K
Calendar - Default: 20/10.8K
Categories: 2/0.2K
Content Store: 116/5354.5K
Enterprise Configuration: 0/0.0K
External Bookmarks: 0/0.0K
File Explorer Network Favorites: 0/0.0K
File Explorer Network History: 0/0.0K
FM Radio Presets: 0/0.0K
Folders: 0/0.0K
Memos: 17/17.5K
MMS Messages: 53/9239.3K
Phone Call Logs: 11/3.5K
Phone History: 10/2.5K
PIN Messages: 0/0.0K
RMS Databases: 5/2.3K
Saved Email Messages: 0/0.0K
Searches: 7/1.7K
SMS Messages: 10619/6177.6K
Tasks: 1/0.8K
Text Messages: 14/12.6K
WAP Push Messages: 0/0.0K
Web Search Engines: 0/0.0K
Word Substitution: 3/0.1K

The SMS message number was at 9976 when this warning first started appearing, which confirms what I was saying about this not being a lack of memory issue.

Prince2012, thank you for your welcome and replying. I had already checked that "Leave messages on SIM card" was unticked. And yes, deleting unwanted messages is how I'm getting by at the moment, but it's not solving the problem.

Guru I
John_Clark

Here's what I see. You have 9MB of MMS (picture) Messages and 6MB of SMS messages. You have over 10,600 SMS messages.

It would be wise to clean some of those out, if possible.

Also, please follow Prince's recommendation of making sure that messages are not being stored on the sim card. Additionally, go into your Messages folder and bring up the menu and select "view folder." Select "SMS Sim Card Inbox" and make sure there are no messages saved there.
Guru I
John_Clark

If none of that helps then you may want to make sure you're running the most up to date OS for your device. Install Desktop Manager to your computer, if you haven't already. Connect your BB device and see if there is an OS update available for it.