Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

ringback tones can I upload my own?

I was wondering if it is possible to upload my own ringback tones and I do for my ringtones themself. I have tried using that basic method, but it will not allow me. Any work arounds that you may be aware of?

Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: ringback tones can I upload my own?

As long as they are in the right format the easiest way is to drag and drop to your media card through windows my computer.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Oh! The format, I just assumed that ringback tones were just MP3s like the ringtones. SHould they be a different format than that? Am I asking an illegal question? I apologize in advance and please feel free to let me know. I am so new to this forum and my blackberry, as you can tell!
Guru I

Mp3.s and wav files work, that's what I have!!

Please feel free to ask for anymore information.

If this answers your question, please close the post in the options over the Kuod's star.

Thanks!

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Maybe my next quesiton is how do I apply that as a ringback tone. THe only way I know how to is through my carrier(cingular) I go to there website and then have to purchase one through them. Is there a way to specify on the blackberry a mp3 or wave file for the ringback tone through the berry itself?

THANK U!

Guru I

I made a tone called family ring. I dragged and dropped to my memory card via windows, and put it in the ringtone folder.

It shows up at the top of the list, so do all my  made ringtones. When going to ringtones through Media on the blackerry

look at My Ringtones and you will see the ones you added!

New Contributor

Yes thank you so much. This totally works for the ringtones, but I can't figure out where my ringback tones would go. The tone that the caller hears on their end when calling into my phone. I have 2 right now that I have purchased through Cingular and I control them through my webpage on there site, but I was wondering if I could create my own ringback tones such as I do for the ring tones. I AM SO SORRY THAT I AM SO CONFUSING. Please forgive me!
Guru I

As you can see "BIFOCALS" is not just a nickname :smileyhappy: I totaly misread ringback.

Sorry to say, but after all this, I know NOTHING about ringback tones, except for the fact that they are kept on the vendors site.

I apologize for wasting your time.

If you would be so kind as to close the post, I would alppreciate it.

Thanks!

New Contributor

Thank you so much for your time, I am sorry to have wasted it. I am working on getting this post closed. i just don't see that option above the Kudos star. I will keep looking!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]

myra1271 wrote:

I was wondering if it is possible to upload my own ringback tones and I do for my ringtones themself.

You can't.

Ringtones are client-side. When you receive a phonecall, your mobile phone takes the selected ringtone on the handheld and play it.

Ringback tones are server-side. When someone calls you, they tell their carrier to contact you. Their carrier relay the quesry to your carrier, which do many things :
  • check if you have asked for a server-side divert (for instance, you know your phone is being repaired for two weeks, so you divert all the people that call you to your landline phone that happens to have an old answering machine with a tape)
  • if you don't have set "divert", it will check whether your phone is connected to the network (ie you are not in a tunnel under a mountain)
  • if you are connected to the network, the carrier will :
    1. call your cell phone (thus triggering your ringtone)
    2. send a ringback tone to the person who is calling you

Basically, you can pay a subscription to your carrier so that he people who call you hear a ringback tone you chose (and paid for).
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-15-2008 01:24 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: