Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
glassdude
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

same problem different phone

i have a 8310 i have read similar problems but with different models. every once in a while my memory drops to zero, erasing my txt messages, emails, call logs and a few other things. it doesnt happen very often but when it does its pretty agrivating. usually i dont add anything very large in size like games, but it has happened overnight when i havent added anything other than a few txts and a couple phone calls it will erase everything. NOW i reallize that it doesnt happen to just me. my supervisor has the same phone and his does it more than mine..  my question is how much memory should be free? should i have more memory than this? right now my phone says

file free      18,423,920

file total     58,064,896

i have read in another thread that the 8330 has a memory clean feature in the security options  folder. i do not have this option. i am pretty familiar with my phone but am still learning a few things here and there. i have deleted a couple programs that i have no use for and it just seems like i should have more memory.

I dont have very many ringtones (maybe 7 at most), have 18 pictures on the camera, i also have a 1 gig memory card that everything is stored on.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: same problem different phone

[ Edited ]

HI,

Please tell me if you have a media card?

Your memory is low,

Do you have a lot of third party applications on your BB weather, icall,bbalerts etc?

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it. Make sure you use the CLOSE button each time you are done with an application.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=9225#M9225

This link speaks to procedure's and a reference article to quantify a "low memory" situation.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14213&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

If you follow these steps and keep up with your memory your phone will operate smoothly.

Please let us know if you need help with any of the steps.

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-10-2008 02:42 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
glassdude

yes i do have a memory card and it is installed, i did however just clear the browser and reset it, im waiting for my phone to come on. didnt download any third party apps, the only game i have on it is the one it came with, i knew about closing the apps with the menu button

i cleared the browser the way that link said to but still only have 18,567,153 free, i deleted a few programs that i never used like tasks, streaming music, music id, and the blackberry video that came on the phone when i got it. any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
glassdude

it possible i cought a virus on the internet?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
glassdude

is it possible that i caught a virus on the internet?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
glassdude

ok so last night after i got off ehre i sent all my pictures saved on my device memory to my email address. most of them were pretty large but still these are the numbers that it is showing me

file free       24,473,522

file total      58,064,896

the smallest picture was 384k and the largest being 696k i dont understand why they are so big. the largest pisture on my phone now is 72k.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Looks a lot better.

Your memory is normal, Anything put on the device memory takes memory away from the device OS.

If you follow the listed steps in the procedures and close the applications not in use. You'll be in good shape!

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudo's start.

Just check the post that had your answer!

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.