Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

synching 8310 to pc

I receive an error message when I connected 8310 to pc.  The error reads--USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB chargin source and that the proper USB driver is installed.  Pls help!
Developer
My Device: 9000

Re: synching 8310 to pc

Hi -

Have you installed the appropriate Handheld Software for your device and the Desktop Manager?

Are you plugged into a hub?

H.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If successful in helping you, please give me kudos in my post.
Please mark the post that solved it for you!
Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
Contributor

When I first tried I did not have the desktop software loaded.  I have since loaded the desktop software, but nothing else.  Was there somethin else I needed to load???  Thanks for the prompt reply.  Pls advise.
Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi

Are you plugging the device into the back of a workstation? Laptop?

This error usually indicates that your using a USB port that is not a direct port... for example, some keyboards have a usb port in them. This is not a direct port.

Also, what version of DM have you installed? If you have an older version like 4.1, it can cause this error also.

Some specs: (QUOTE)

When attached, an USB device is allowed to draw 100 mA only. Then it can request for more but this can be rejected and the message "USB charging current is not sufficient" is quite perfect in this situation. The device works fine but is not charged. The USB ports of the computer and of powered USB hubs should be able to deliver up to 500 mA while passive hubs are limited to (500-100)mA / (number of ports), so a 4 port hub delivers 100 mA per port only and will reject all request for more. (/ENDQUOTE)

H.

Message Edited by hmeister on 10-18-2008 12:16 PM

Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
Contributor

Thanks again.  I plugged it in to a lap top.  One of the 2 USB ports available.  The desk top software was installed yesterday, so it should be updated.  Not sure if it matters, but when I first plugged in, the laptop was powered by battery.  It was initially not pluhgged into an outlet.  I treid again after powering to an outlet, but same message.  What do you think I'm doing wrong?
Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi..

Is the Desktop Manager seeing the device? If not, please let us know if your using XP or Vista AND if you have installed the appropriate handheld software... (The handheld software is different than the Desktop Manager)

H.

Message Edited by hmeister on 10-18-2008 01:06 PM

Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
Contributor

Windows XP.  The only softward I downloaded on my pc was the blackberry desktop software from the blackberry site.  Is there other software to load, like for the 8310 itself?  This was a refurbished 8310 so only USB cable came with the phone.  Am i missing something.
Contributor

Can you direct me to the appropriate handheld software
Developer

Hi

When you plug in your 8310 BB to the usb cable and start the Desktop Manager, does the software acknowledge the phone is connected?

H.

Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Plug your device into the USB cable and then to the laptop, go to Windows explorer, can you see the BB as a flack drive?

If not you may have a cable problem. Get another.

Also, try

Pull the battery while the device is ON, replace after a minute,

Let the device reboot 1-3 min,

You may have a memory issue which would prevent the connection

Thanks,

Let us know!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter