Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

smclouse

tethering computer to blackberry

is there a secret to how to tether the computer to the blackberry.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: tethering computer to blackberry

Yes there is a secret and if we tell you we'll have to kill you! :smileyhappy:

Just joking!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Read this link and especially the info provided by D fisher.

Let me know if this works and if you need more help!

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryInternetSolution&message.id...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Developer
javed001

I tried the steps mentioned at http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Using_BlackBerry_As_Modem

I am getting an error "The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on.  If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set."  while trying perform Query Modem mentioned in the point  7.

I have a blackberry 8100 pearl with Vodafone unlimited download data services. I am also running the latest desktop manager 4.7.

Can anybody help please.

Please use plain text.
Developer
javed001

I called  my service provider which is vodafone india, they told I need to buy their Mobile connect service despite having an unlimited download data plan for the blackberry. Its totally rubbish.... lol
Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Carrier: Verizon

Hahaha. When you do that, you are not supposed to tell your carrier.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jasoncliff
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Using the IP modem of the v5 Blackberry Desktop Manager to tether is quite straightforward.  Just follow the instructions as you go.  Make sure you are not running an older version of DM.

However, if you are with a carrier such as Verizon, you may have to pay a tethering fee.  Found some quite enlightening discussions at tetherbridge.com/TetherPrimer.html.  They discussed about different options of tethering and implications (if you would have to pay in addition to data usage).  Looks like it all comes down to if the particular way sets up a modem tunnel through the cellular network. 

Please use plain text.