Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mathur
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: vodafone karnataka

transferring data to new BB phone without old BB

Hi, this is my first post and its over 3 hrs since I have been looking for a solution.

my BB 8520 curve crashed (app error 523) and service center says they'd take 8 days to repair. I have a spare 8520 and I have been unsucessfully trying to load saved data  from old BB from my Laptop to new BB. problem is the device software asks for old BB to be plugged in. and all the 'help' has not helped me. what i primarily need is the phone book and messages, if not entire data.  pls pls pls help me, and my sincere apologies if this is posted in wrong forum as am going insane trying to find a solution, thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: transferring data to new BB phone without old BB

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Are you trying to use the Switch device wizard or are you trying to load .ipd backup files from your old device using Blackberry desktop manager backup and restore process?

1) You can use the Blackberry desktop manager to reload the device OS in your old 8520 and repair it your self. App 523 usually means the device OS had a fatal error. You can download all software and documentation for free on this site,  the advice is priced the same! :Yes:

So please post back and let us know how you are trying to transfer the data to the spare.

Also let us know if you want to repair the original 8520 instead or continue with your spare.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB24395 "Error 523", "App Error 523", or "JVM 523" appears on the BlackBerry Smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
darocker077
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

well from a curve 8520 to another same family will not be a problem if you have the back-up data (which you took from the old device) if you have any?? unless you don't have such an option to back since bb protect does not support your device to keep you data stored on blackberry cloud??

hope this clears your problem even though it's not a solution. :smileyhappy:

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mathur

Are you trying to use the Switch device wizard or are you trying to load .ipd backup files from your old device using Blackberry desktop manager backup and restore process?

I used the switch device option on my laptop's BB desktop software where i have stored the data from old BB. Problem is, it assumes that I have connected old BB to my laptop and then asks me to disconnect old BB and connect new BB for transferring.

on  my old BB screen the backup/restore option can only work if I connect my old BB(which I cant : ( 

1) You can use the Blackberry desktop manager to reload the device OS in your old 8520 and repair it your self. App 523 usually means the device OS had a fatal error. You can download all software and documentation for free on this site,  the advice is priced the same! :Yes:

I did try to connect my old BB to reload OS(so did the BB service center, it didnt work)

So please post back and let us know how you are trying to transfer the data to the spare.

Yes, am trying to transfer the data to the spare.

Also let us know if you want to repair the original 8520 instead or continue with your spare

The original has gone for repairs and will take 8 working days!!! and I cant wait that long as I need my adress book , atleast......Thank you so much for your quick reply, I do hope I will get a solution here, someone I know suggested to try BB Protect, need to check how this is done... : )

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mathur

The call center guy told me that my 6.1... version is old and will have to uninstall OS and he mailed me 7.1... to be installed. Have done so, but was worried where my old data will be lost, thank god its there, but ITS THERE !!! and i still cant lay my hands on it ... hope i find help here...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
karenmillares
My Device: Curve 8250
My Carrier: Vodafone

Try checking if you have IPD or BBB backups on your computer. You can restore your new phone from previous backups or extract them (if restore does not work).
Please use plain text.