Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Shibzii
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

updating my curve 8520 from v4.6 to current update

so my fella has a bb curve 8520 and it still has the oldest of old settings on there.

I have attempted to update it on the actual software but it keeps telling me no updates are available, i tried updating on the mobile internet site but i'm getting nowhere.

i'd connect it to the computer but i can't find the lead to do so.

is there any other way to update this phone before i take it to the shop??

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: updating my curve 8520 from v4.6 to current update

Does the device have an active BB data plan on it? Without that it won't allow you to update the OS without wiping the OS entirely and reinstalling the new OS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Shibzii

yes it has an active data plan. would it be affected if i'm on a sim only contract?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It just needs to have an active BlackBerry data plan. A standard data plan isn't enough. I don't know what the data plan is on your "sim only" contract.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Shibzii

what data plan would i need?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Any data plan that includes BlackBerry services.
Please use plain text.
Shibzii

oh right. yeah i have that.
what are my options?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

You can try these steps:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. It doesn't hurt to do a manual backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. You can get BlackBerry Desktop Software here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

5. If you' simply want to update the OS to a newer version skip this step. If doing a clean OS reload, or if the OS won't update, use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (507 error just means no OS installed) then proceed to next step. Caution: If you use BBSAK to wipe the device to a 507 error there always exists the problem that the OS still won't load and then you're stuck with a device that doesn't work at all. 

6. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Please use plain text.
Shibzii

thanks. i'll try that now and will let you know if it works
Please use plain text.