Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
kristy26
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: mtn

upgrade issues

my curve 9380 will not detect that there is a new operating system upgrade available, please help!!!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: upgrade issues

You didn't say... are you checking for upgrades from on the device using the Options > Software Upgrades?

Then MTN probably hasn't released any upgrade to the OS.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kristy26

I have tried checking via my desktop manager and on the device itself. My phone is not linked to any carrier as I won it through a radio competition. My touch screen has stopped working properly and one of the google answers was to upgrade the software! If this isnt an option, what next?!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

1. If you have an MTN SIM card in the device, it is tied to MTN for device software upgrade released by MTN.

2. If the touchscreen has stopped working complete, first try a simple reboot:   With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kristy26

I have tried rebooting several times. If the phone is vertical half of the key pad works, it it is horizontal the other half works. It is impossible to type emails and messages without continually moving the phone around. i.e. when vertical the space bar, special characters etc work but anthing on the right hand side (o, p, l, backspace, send) dont work.

The screen also regularly freezes. I do not store photos, music or download content onto my phone so I can't imagine it being corrupted in any way. Surely this can be fixed??

Please use plain text.
JSanders

kristy26, you might wish to wipe the device and install a fresh operating system to see if this fixes it.

If you want to do that, let me know and I will post step by step instructions here.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kristy26

Yes please that would be great! :-)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kristy26

please don't forget about me! my phone is about to go out the window :-(

thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders

You will need to use BBSAK or JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:
For BBSAK, here is the link: http://bbsak.org/

Once you have the 507 "no OS detected error", you will load the operating system.

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

Download Official OS 7.1.0.794 for BlackBerry Curve 9380 from StarHub Ltd

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." (You might have another Vendor.xml file hiding on your computer. Open Windows Explorer and under the Organize button (on Windows 7, there are similar tools for Vista and XP) click on "Folder and search options." Under the View tab, make sure that your computer is set to show hidden folders and files. Once you've done this, search your C:\ drive for "Vendor.xml".)

3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

**Starting with the later OS6 releases, there are now three copies of VENDOR.XML
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7)
==========OR============
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 64-bit Windows Vista/7)
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
You can also just search for VENDOR.XML. Make sure that you choose ADVANCED SEARCH and include hidden files. It should show the file in at three locations. Delete every copy that it finds.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.