Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve
My Carrier: WIND

Re: upload contacts to blackberry

I wanted to upload contacts from a csv file on my computer to my BB. i was given a guide. i followed that but one of the instructions concerned me:

-> Select One way sync to Device and then click Next.

i wasnt sure if this would override the contacts i already had on my BB. to work around that i wanted to first upload my BB contacts to my computer desktop by choosing the other sync option, ie Sync FROM Device. That didnt work, said my contacts are set to sync wirelessly so this cant be done.

You then said to goto

Options > Device > Advanced > Service Books. Scroll through to the "[DESKTOP]Sync" entry, and delete it.

I went there but couldnt find this entry, which brings us back to the current moment.

Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Using the first option "sync to device" will no overwrite your current on-device BlackBerry contacts. Choose that method.

As insurance, before doing the above, simply make a backup of your BlackBerry data. If anything is overwritten you can always restore to that point.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

right that's what i was asking, how to back it up?

Oh, to backup, connect to your Desktop Software.

On the main screen, you'll see a huge button toward the top center, that says BACKUP.

if you are prompted to upgrade something first, don't.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

thanks man. so i followed the guide you linked me to (KB11194) and followed it to the end. when i pressed sync, the last step, it started but then gave me an error. 0x80040057.

No further information. Can you advise?
Contributor

btw I`ve backed up my address book from the phone to PC. now how do i open the backup?

BigDan1 wrote:
thanks man. so i followed the guide you linked me to (KB11194) and followed it to the end. when i pressed sync, the last step, it started but then gave me an error. 0x80040057.

No further information. Can you advise?

Did that error have any details, did it fail the entire sync? So the contacts did not get synced to your device?

Knowledge Base Updates

BigDan1 wrote:

btw I`ve backed up my address book from the phone to PC. now how do i open the backup?

There are a couple of options for extracting and viewing data from a the backup files.

1. The IPD Parse macro is designed to read a Blackberry IPD file and create reports in MSWord or MSExcel. It is free, and you can find out more here: https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse/home
2. Another options is MagicBerry from MenaStep... which extract from a backup IPD or BBB file, split IPD files, etc. http://menastep.com/pages/magicberry.php
3. Another IPD and BBB file utility is BlackBerry Backup Extractor, and is available for PC and Mac, and can be found here: http://www.blackberryconverter.com/ There is a free and paid version.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Nope no details besides that number.

I checked for a couple numbers which weren't in there so I'd say the entire sync failed. Contacts did not get uploaded.

Contributor

That had failed the entire sync, yes. I spoke to someone and he told me its possibly because my file didnt have the appropriate fields in it. Earlier I had had no headings, just name and number. As a result I put in title, name, business phone, cell phone, etc etc. So I did all that and this time I didnt get an error - but the sync didnt actually work either. I`m stuck! Can you help?

Thanks!