Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
vincep
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

veteran user, rookie question

i've grown up on BES and am looking to upgrade my wife's phone (a moto Q w/verizon using wirelesssync which provides full OTA sync -- e-mail, calendar, contacts, etc. -- w/outlook). i understand that without a BES, BIS only keeps the e-mail in sync (calendar, contacts, etc. has to be done via USB?). here's the rookie question: does BIS allow for full e-mail sync with outlook (i.e. reads, deletes, etc. on either the PC or the BB) -- or are there other limitations?

i hate to lose full OTA sync, but would be willing to give it up if outlook e-mail sync via BIS works just like the BES. e-mail is an @ameritech.net address (yahoo). phone would be an 8330. thx much for any insights you can share.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: veteran user, rookie question

Acutally not quite.

BIS does not sync or reconcile "most" email. It does partially with Gmail, Yahoo and IMAP mail servers. It does not reconcile any mail on POP servers. And, none of that with Outlook (i,e., if you delete an email in Outlook, it will not be deleted on your BB, except in some IMAP configurations where when Outlook also deletes the message off the mail server it then reconciles that delete on the BB.

Honestly, if you want full mail reconcile, you should look into a hosted exchange server for her, such as 

http://www.blackberryforums.com/banners/exchangemymail2.jpg

Does that help?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vincep
My Device: Not Specified

Re: veteran user, rookie question

thanks -- it does. sadly, it also means i'll probably just get her the new Q (which kills me given how much i dislike winmo). guess hosted exchange is an option, but VZ's wireless sync actually works pretty well. thx again.
Please use plain text.