Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: telus

webmail without data plans

Just picked up a curve (aka 'learning curve' hehe) and I am having a hard time trying to configure for webmail . I do not have the 'configure internet email' option on the phone, only the enterprise server option. After reading way too many websites my impression is this function is controlled by the service provider. If you do not have BIS or some kind of BB data plan then you cannot use web based email thru the BB email function (you can check webmail thru a browser if you really want to be uber-frustrated). I found one post that alluded to this way back in 2009 or something. Can someone confirm this is still the case in 2013? This would save me and possible thousands of others looking for the same thing. If you have a data plan then this function would be available.

Let's hope 10 is way more user friendly!

Cheers.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: webmail without data plans

Hi dimwit

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Still now if you want to use Personal Email Services you need a BlackBerry Data Plan / BIS on your account .Most application works over WIFI without an active BIS but a few like BBM, Email services require a BlackBerry Data Plan.

dimwit wrote:

Let's hope 10 is way more user friendly!

Cheers.

As we all heard BlackBerry 10 don't need any BlackBerry Data Plan on our account.

Cheers !

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

dimwit wrote:

I found one post that alluded to this way back in 2009 or something. Can someone confirm this is still the case in 2013? This would save me and possible thousands of others looking for the same thing. If you have a data plan then this function would be available..

Trust me, on the legacy BBOS devices, you still need THE BlackBerry Data plan. It's been answered here thousands of times in 2009, 2010, 2011, AND 2012.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: telus

Thanks for the info to both previous posts. I'm shocked my 6 month old phone is already legacy hardware. This would mean the BB was the only smart phone all the way up to 2013 that could not do web based email without some kind of extra data plan (can't recall if Apple does this).

Since the function does exist on some BB phones, is it possible to change operating firmware and get it? Does the provider enable it once you sign up? Does all the web based email have to go thru BB servers? I'm grasping at straws at this point...Still hoping my fancy phone isn't a dead loss. Cheers.

Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You need the correct data plan, plain and simple.

All smartphones need a data plan of some sort.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code