Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jason_207
My Device: blackberry 8900
Accepted Solution

wifi connection problem on 8900

Hi guys,

Just bought my bb which is an amazing piece of kit. I'm a uk customer on O2, on a pay as you use data service but have a contract with o2, i have downloaded my settings from them and OTA email services work fine.

however im having a problem accessing any service through my home wifi network, i have tried removing the security and and allowing all traffic to the bb with no luck. apparently o2 cannot help. my bb recognises the network and connects to it and i get a green 'sky24083' but i get a grey line instead of a tick. i have searched the forums but nothing seems to work. any help would be greatly appreciated. here is a read out of the wi-fi diagnostics

Wi-Fi

Current Profile: SKY24083

SSID: SKY24083

AP MAC Address: 00:1E:74:B9:**:**

Security Type: Open

Association: Successful

Authentication: Successful

Local IP Address: 192.168.0.4

Signal Level: -46 dBm

Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

Authentication Failure Reason: 

Network Type: 802.11b/g

Network Channel: 6

Pairwise Cipher: None

Group Cipher: None

Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1

DHCP: Successful

Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

DNS suffix:  home

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Server Domain Suffix: 

Certificate:  Not Applicable

Software Token: Not Applicable

L3 Auth: 

VPN

Current Profile: 

Concentrator Address: 

Authentication: N/A

Secure Device IP:  

Resolving Concentrator: N/A

Concentrator IP: 

Primary DNS: 

Secondary DNS: 

DNS Suffix: 

Secure Subnet Mask: 

Retry at: 

Session Lifetime: 

Re-login at: 

Failed Login Attempts: 0

Certificate: 

Software Token: 

BlackBerry Infrastructure

Address Used: 

IP Used: 

Connecting: Error

Authenticating router: N/A

Authenticating server: N/A

Last Contact At:

New Contributor
davock
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: wifi connection problem on 8900

I sometimes get this problem.  The fact you have a grey wifi symbol I think it means you are connecting fine to your router at home.  It may be more due to service books and registration.  Read this thread below and try some of the actions.  They partially worked for me.

New Contributor
jason_207

Hey thanks for the help davock. i have deleted the email based service books but it has not affected the wifi capability. i have also re registered the route table with no luck. could/ should i delete all service books or will i not get some back if i did this?

im wondering about whether i have a setting wrong somewhere as im sure i connected to my girlfriends wifi with a white wifi symbol then recieved initial updates etc and have not been able to since.

thanks jas

New Contributor
davock
My Device: Curve 8900

I have only done the actions in the thread i posted.  I don't know about deleting all books.  Taking the battery out and doing a reset solves my problem.
New Contributor
jason_207

im wondering whether this is a faulty unit. how do u reset the unit to factory? i was wondering if i had changed a setting and this could undo it.

thanks for your help though davock

New Contributor
jason_207

Hi peeps,

i managed to get it to work. im not entirely sure which setting did it, but it might help some people. so here is what i did. i followed Davocks advice and resent the hosting tables. i also had apn setting enabled under tcp/ip in advanced options, so i turned those off. it was probably one of those which did it and enabled me to use the wifi. it looks like it was an error that was preventing me from connecting to the balckberry infrastructure that was the cause of the wifi problems not the wireless network.

however, i have also upgraded my service from pay as you use blackberry on a contract with o2 to unlimited blackberry. again it could be a factor however unlikely.

Thanks davock for your help with this it is much appreciated.

New Contributor
dm99
My Device: Not Specified

Just joined the forums and not sure of protocols so pl excuse if I get things a bit wrong.

I've had the same problem and spent days trying to sort it out, with numerous calls to O2 and even a call to RIM.  In the end, I requested a new SIM from O2 and the problem was solved.  I'd had the old 2g SIM for about 3 years and the new one is 3g.  Worth a try for you?

fordsplayer6
My Device: 8900 Curve

hi,

Im haveing the same problem and cant fix it.

i have a BB 8900 unlocked and i have an optus sim in

it. i really need help :smileyfrustrated:

Visitor
nayabtariq123123
My Device: blackberry 8900 curve

heyy... i also have a connection problem .. when i search for networks, it shows like no networks FOund..i dunno why i shows like that.. so helpp me. my wirless system is also connect at the moment on my laptop but ven i try to connect it to my blackberry 8900 it juz says no networks found.. So HELPP ME..! 

madeel7077
My Device: 8900

i do not have a data plan on my BB and want to use the WIFI. my device recognized my wifi account and says that it is on and Manually i have configured and connected to WIFI.. BUT IN MANAGE CONNECTIONS, wifi still has MINUS sign.. its not green checked sign, but when i try to connect to the browser it says "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later." i tried a lot of times and it is still not working. Thanks.