Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360

wifi not working on Curve 9360 w/out data plan

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just disabled by monthly BB data plan on my Curve 9360, as I was making very little use of Internet services while on the road. Rather, I thought I could use the wifi network that I have at home and in other places, to which the phone easily connects.

However, wifi is not working properly. The wifi seems to hang someway, but not for all applications. For example, the BB browser keeps working just fine all the time through the wifi connection. However, many other apps I installed exhibit problems and they cannot connect (AppWorld itself, TuneIn Internet radio app, YouTube, LogicMail, GTalk, LinkedIn, FaceBook, basically every app relying on Internet access except the BB browser itself!).

These apps either just freeze while seemingly loading something forever, or they simply show up some error message asking to retry later.

Though, if I remove the battery, or if I do the 3-buttons reset, then things start working again, but only for a short time (not sure, it can be just minutes). After a while, all the apps restart not connecting any more.

Things always worked just fine till I had a BB data plan, or perhaps it's just a coincidence that wifi screwed up just in the same days in which I was cancelling the data plan subscription. Don't know.

Can anyone please advice on how to possibly fix this problem that makes my smartphone almost useless?

Thanks and regards,

T.

Elite II
My Device: Curve

Re: wifi not working on Curve 9360 w/out data plan

Hi tcucinotta

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Noticed some user having the same issue accessing apps over wifi without a data plan ,Check this Knowledge Base :

KB13368 :Services that are available over a Wi-Fi connection.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the pointer. AFAICS, this is not a matter of things that are not possible, but rather a matter of a malfunctioning of the software within the device. As I stated in my problem description, these apps requiring Internet access work just fine over my home wifi without any data plan activated. However, they stop working after a few minutes, whilst a reset of the phone fixes temporarily the situation back to working for another few bunch of minutes.

Isn't there any available update of the BB OS or other system components (even to a beta version) that would allow this issue to be fixed? Or, is it possible that the problem has been caused by some of the installed apps? I'm going to uninstall them all, one by one, anyway...

AFAICS, for now the only alternative is to get rid of this smartphone and get a proper one.

Thanks again.

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8330

I am having the exact network connectivity problem.

Blackbery curve 9360 OS 7.1.0.912

wifi connected apps stop working, except

for the browser, which always works.

Reboot restores the wifi connectivity

for all apps.

Changing the APN host did seems to help some,

but the problem still presists, however not as frequently.

Turning data connections off and then on again

does not help.

Please help. I bought a blackberry for reliablity and

currently it is worse than an early android phone.

Keith

New Contributor

Update: a few weeks ago I had also tried to erase entirely the phone (security reset) and reinstall only the minimum of apps I wanted to use, but the problem started anyway right after.

The temporary and only-partial work-around I'm currently using is the "Advanced OS & LED" application. This contains, among others, an option for periodic reset of the phone. So, I programmed a daily reset 10 mins after the wake-up alarm time, so that my phone automatically resets while I'm having breakfast or so. This translates into the wifi mostly working during the morning for all apps.

Still, I don't consider this situation acceptable for a device sold as a smartphone.

New Contributor

Can you please detail how you changed the APN settings?

Thanks.
New Contributor

Hi again,

I can't believe this issue is simply ignored by BlackBerry with so many users complaining about the situation. Recently, I heard that the new BB10 OS does not suffer of this issue, and that it does behave as a real smartphone, even over a simple wi-fi connection without any data plan.

BlackBerry should release an OS update or configuration allowing users of older phones that have been sold as smartphones to just allow them to use their phones as smartphones, advertised when they bought them!!

Please, provide an advice for BB Curve users, thanks.

New Contributor

Because of this network issue I ditched my Blackberrys and bought Android phones for the whole family. I'm so much happier now. No more crazy workarounds ---- Everything just works on Android 4.4.

Sadly, Blackberry won't be around much longer. The majority of developers have abandoned the platform. A phone is nothing without apps. A company that doesn't listen to or help its customer is also nothing. It was love for a spell Blackberry, but that love has long turned to ashes in my mouth.
New Contributor

Little heads-up for the records:

-) my provider is eMobile, Ireland

-) This month I'm also giving a try to the eMobile data plan add-on, as I happen to be more often on the road

-) I tried also to set the APN to: data.eircom.ie, as I found it would help with eMobile, but nothing changed actually

I thought the daily reset would have allowed me to survive, but I was plain wrong: my smartphone behaves only for maybe half an hour or a couple of hours, with both home wi-fi and on-the-road Internet working for all the apps, but later during the day I find it again STUCK with all apps complaining there's no network, wi-fi doesn't work, and similar, whilst I do have both local wi-fi properly configured, AND the mobile operator data plan add-on.

Details of the errors vary with applications, for example:

-) BlackBerry World: "We cannot connect you to BlackBerry World. Please ensure that your device is connected to the wireless network and try again."

-) TuneIn Radio: "WiFi connection is present but not working properly"

-) MapMyFitness: "There was a problem contacting the server. Please try again later"

-) FaceBook: "You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application, please connect to a wi-fi network or contact your service provider to upgrade your data plan."

-) LogicMail: hangs forever trying to refresh status and/or fails loading messages with "Message could not be loaded"

Let me repeat it once again: the BlackBerry own web browser is the only application that keeps working correctly, with home wi-fi only, as well as with on-the-road eMobile data plan, without any problems. That's how any other app should behave. However, it cannot be a problem/bug of a single app, as they ALL consistently have network problems, and at the same time.

If I pull the battery, then all the above problems disappear and the phone becomes again "smart", but only for half an hour or so, as already explained.

If anyone has any good advice to fix this, apart from "buy another phone", I would be grateful. Thanks.

New Contributor

This problem is called network drop or network freeze. It occurs in BBOS 7 and 7.1 on phones that do not have a BIS plan, but do have a data plan. There is no known fix other than workarounds that reboot or phone periodically. A huge number of people were running into this in China and someone actually crafted a hybrid OS that fixed the issue. They combined modules from OS6 and OS7. In my own experience, I found that the APN setting has some effect. The bug occurs when the phone loses it cell signal. With certain APN hosts the bug occurs on the transition from WiFi to mobile data.

Why no Fix? Blackberry never intended for people to use a BBOS7 device without BIS. Note: BBOS10 no longer uses BIS. BIS means all network data is routed through RIMs network, compressed and then sent to your phone. It was great when data was $$$ and slow, but now no longer makes senses in the age of 4G LTE and streaming video.

Sucks huh? If your on a budget, buy a moto G off eBay and pop your simcard into it. That what my wife uses. Its light years better than any BBOS 7 phone.