Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

Re: wifi symbol grey, but im connected to my hub?

Marc1 - And you will, until RIM restores the sevice. The is what we all are waiting for.
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520

Getting really fed up. To answer someones question from a few pages back as to why we need BIS over WiFi. It's because without it our internet/apps are too slow. It's driving me mad. My BB is not 3G. I rely on connecting via WiFi to get my emails, facebook, twitter etc etc quickly to my phone. I have my phone set up to link to WiFi at home, at work, at friends houses. I use BBM and now this is slow. I get that BIS is still working via my network but it's no good to me. It takes too long to do anything and I give up or the BB does!

If this continues to be an issue, I will be telling Virgin there is some kind of breach of contract (do you think there is??) and asking to leave my contract. I was told when I bought the contract that I could use WiFi at home. Now that my WiFi is greyed out I'm not entirely sure what it using WiFi and what isn't. Everything seems slow. I'm not convinced anything is connecting to WiFi, so I assume I'm using the network for everything which means I'm using my data plan up. WiFi allows unlimited use of the internet.

Not happy.

Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: vodafone uk

so at the moment then cos wifi isnt using bis everytime i go on the net its using my data plan is that right???
Trusted Contributor

jxnxg - Most likely, yes. It depends on the app. Some apps that need BIS, like BlackBerry App World, will still use the WIFI connection even if BIS over WIFI isn't working. I noticed this last year when my BIS over WIFI service was down for two months.

But the short answer is, yes. Apps will probably use your data plan depending on the app (Facebook, MSN IM, AOL IM, Twitter, Google Maps)...
Contributor

thanks cjvervaet for taking the time to explain all this its much appreciated and now i understand , not looking forward to it going on for 2 months though been 4 days already doing me head in
Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: o2

Virgin will not do anythink and that's the same for any other network and if they send your phone back to blackberry you will only get a refurbished one back as they do not hand out new out new handsets I got my phone from carphone wearhouse they was really rude and out of order with me so I got trading standers involved took me about a month to get a brand new curve in the box from them
Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: orange

Hi

Just phoned Orange UK and they are aware of the problem and are expecting RIM to fix the problem over the next 24 hours or so!! :mansad:

Phil

Contributor

ooh that sounds good like the 24 hrs but not too keen on the or so bit
Trusted Contributor

philtrees - Any information that is positive from carriers is wonderful. Even if they were saying RIM would fix it in 24hrs yesterday, it's still refreshing to hear! Thanks for the good update!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: o2

Well I'm sick of been told one thing then told another they are going to sort it out or not they are just full of **bleep**