Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: Not Specified

64-bit Kernel in Snow Leopard NOT Supported with Desktop Manager Software for Mac!

[ Edited ]

If you have your Mac booted into 64-bit kernel (which is not enabled by default, you have to either hold 6 and 4 down upon boot or rewrite the com.apple.boot.plist file to force the machine into 64-bit kernel) the Desktop Manager software will not recognize your BlackBerry for syncing, even though the phone will show up on the Desktop if you have enabled Mass Storage Mode. The software will just continue to say, insert the device to start and whatnot.

RIM - please take note of this and fix it in an update! I don't want to have to force my computer to boot in 32 bit kernel just to sync my phone!

I looked everywhere on the internet and US Cellular Tech Support didn't even know this, so hopefully this discovery will help you if you are having the same issue! 

Message Edited by mattenglan on 10-02-2009 04:07 PM
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Fido

Re: 64-bit Kernel in Snow Leopard NOT Supported with Desktop Manager Software for Mac!

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how difficult it was to figure that out...I looked everywhere for days. Thanks a lot for this!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

The info is on RIM's web page for the Mac Desktop Manager

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

System Requirements

• Mac OS X v10.5.5 and above (Only 32-bit mode is supported on Mac OS X v10.6)
  • BlackBerry® Device Software v4.2 or higher
  • iTunes v7.7.1 or later

...but, yeah, it'd be nice if they address this sooner rather than later. I prefer they get the kinks out of the 32-bit mode software first which, God willing, would make the 64-bit version easier to develop.