Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
cbswaim
My Device: Playbook & Tour

Re: A FIX!!! - Desktop Manager 7.0

The DM install was pretty particular about 2008 SP1, so I would pull 2010 and replace since 2008 is plenty available. As far as .Net, any needed components will automatically get reinstalled by DM or other applications.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Baer
My Device: Tour 9630

All I did was uninstall the DM in Programs and Features in Control Pannel in Win 7 64. Then I downloaded and installed the older version 6. It was a clean install. All was well and once I set up and synced all was well with the calandar.

So, I have no issues now except that my trusy for RIM is gone and that I am switching my company to a different phone platform (The WIndows 7.5 phones) but at least I do not have to do it in the next few days.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jafk-9810
My Device: Torch 9810

Gidday Bruce

brtkom wrote:

Thanks for posting this. Before trying this fix, I have two concerns:

You refer to Visual C++ 2008 SP1. I have several VC packages installed running from 2005 through 2008 and up to 2010, but nothing with that specific title, all apparently installed in 2010 or 2011. I assume that the service pack you mentioned was developed earlier so my concern is that installing it on top of the earlier software could mess up the installation.

You make no mention of reinstalling .Net components. Aren't they needed by other software?

I share the frustration of others that BlackBerry rolled this out without adequate testing.

Bruce

IIRC, in order to install the DM v.6.x originally, I had to remove all versions of the .NET Framework starting with .NET v.x Extensions (or whatever) and working my way backwards.

I also had to install MS Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (available from the MS website - just search for it).

The other versions of MS Visual C++ should not effect anything, just so long as you have the correct version of the libraries for the BB DM executables to access.

Programs that use the .NET Framework s/w are almost non-existent, AFAICT, and they obligingly re-downloaded what they needed after the BB DM install had completed. Bloody bloatware, AFAICT!!

To get back to square one, I used CONTROL PANEL to uninstall DM v.7.x, preserving USER SETTINGS. Then re-installed v.6.1.B38 which I had on one of my local HDDs. All was then back to normal, and I appear to have not lost any data (whew). I did not need to reboot after the uninstall or the re-install.

IF some other programs on your PC have re-loaded some of the .NET Framework components it MAY be necessary to remove them; BUT it was not necessary in my own case.

BR, JK

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoeFan101
My Device: BB Bold 9700 and Playbook

Re: A fix - Desktop Manager 7.0

[ Edited ]

I am shocked and disappointed that there hasn't been a fix yet.  It can't be that difficult!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brtkom
My Device: Bold 9650

It appears that Blackberry is aware of the problem. At least they seem to have replaced Desktop 7 with 6.1 on their website. I removed 7 from my home computer and downloaded 6.1, but now get a message the "Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device."

My guess is that one of the settings on my device was changed, because I can no longer sync with my office computer either.

I am afraid I did not have the courage to remove the .net components and try to make Desktop 7 work. I recall it being used by one of my programs.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmmrdc
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

This fix is far too complicated.  I uninstalled 7.0 and installed 6 from the AT&T website and still have the same error:  "bb has stopped working..."  This is unreal.  I guess I will have to go back to I Phone.  Please help today!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Baer

All I did was uninstall the broken one at Programs and features in control pannel and then reboot and then install the Ver 6 and then reboot again (crappy RIM software) and everything then worked.

iPhone? You would really put Apples Bonjour service and Apple push on a P C. You are nuts.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmmrdc
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I did that yesterday and I still get the same error.  I uninstalled at control panel, rebooted, then installed the one from the website (6.1) and get the same error.  It appears to come up but then doesn't.  I don't know if it's a windows problem or a  blackberry problem but it's very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Baer

Not a Windows 7 problem unless you have loaded some conflicting code or utility.

I have the older desktop now running just fine on my home build workstation and my Lenovo Thinkpad. Both now working fine.

I am thinking of sending RIM a bill for a days work and lost productivity.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SimonJump
My Device: Curve 9300

Glad it worked out for you but.........

Having been involved in IT since the 1960's this has got to be one of the worst updates I have seen rolled out by a major international company. I am running Windows 7 (32bit) and Outlook 2007 and have reverted to Desktop Manager 6.1

I would have been fired if I had issued this to my customer base.

As for your workround, how is a non-techie going to implement it? They will get so frustrated that they will just cancel their contract and move elsewhere.

Quality issues with a BB Curve and now this make me very wary of continuing with mine!

Please use plain text.