Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Address Book Missing from Backup

The trackball on my BlackBerry Tour failed, so Verizon sent me a replacement.  I made a backup of my old device and restored it to the new device.  The restore process finished, but my contacts were not transferred.  I made a new backup of the old device, but the address book is still missing.  In Desktop Manager, if I choose Backup and Restore > Advanced, "Address Book" is not listed under "Device databases."  ("Address Book - Last Used Hints" and "Address Book Options" are listed though.)

I'd had never run Desktop Manager on this computer before creating the original backup.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop Manager, but the address book is still missing.  This is Desktop Manager 5.0.1.28.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Developer

Re: Address Book Missing from Backup

Update: Verizon's tech support suggested taking the two devices to a store and letting the tech do the transfer using their hardware, but the in-store tech tried and failed to transfer the contacts.  The contacts are there on the old device (I can see them in the Contacts application), but Desktop Manager's backup and synchronization tools can't see them.  Verizon's data transfer hardware can't see them either.  Are there any applications that I can use to do the backup and restore?

By the way, Desktop Manager is able to backup the contacts from the new device.  The only difference is the new device has 4.7.1.61 and the old device has 4.7.1.40 and the old device has a few third-party applications (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.).  The old device is also running BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 while the new one is running the 4.7.1 version.

Developer

Re: Address Book Missing from Backup

Update: With no other alternative, I reactivated my old device, composed an email and individually attached each of my contacts to it, and sent it to an external email address.  Then, I reactivated my new device, sent the email back to it, and then opened and saved each contact individually.  It took forever, but it worked.  With the new device loaded with all of my contacts, I was able to make a backup that included my address book.  After verifying the backup, I installed Google Sync and now my contacts are synced with my Google account.  It was an annoying process, but at least I've got my contacts back.