Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
DTMOC
My Device: Bold 9780

An Error Occurred backing up your data - Desktop v7.1 ONLY!?

Anyone run into this?

All has been quite fine with my 9780 for syncing and backing up until I recently allowed the upgrade to BB Desktop v7.1 software (v7.1.0.37 to be exact). Now, I get the error in the subject line along with a message advising to "select a different folder with write permissions"!

Now, the folder has not changed and I checked it anyway. There is no write permission issue. Created a new folder (albeit a different subfolder of the default Blackberry folder) and the same error occurs.

Seems like a bug to me but not being able to backup is certainly not great!

Retired
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: An Error Occurred backing up your data - Desktop v7.1 ONLY!?

Hello DTMOC,

We would like to help regarding the issue you are experiencing with backing up your BlackBerry smartphone data using the BlackBerry Desktop Software to a specific folder.

As a test, create a new folder on your desktop, point the default backup location for the BlackBerry Desktop Software to this folder and attempt another backup as a test.

By default, the BlackBerry Desktop Software saves your backup files to C:\My Documents\BlackBerry\Backup on your computer.

In the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Device > Back up.

In the File Options section, click Change > Yes.
Browse to a folder and click OK.

Test another backup.

Let us know if you receive the same error message.

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!