Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
TaylorZs
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB Curve 8330 and Palm Tungsten E2-- sync and desktop use

I have a new BB Curve 8330.

Before I used a cell and a Palm Tungsten E2.

I succeded to export/import data from Palm to BB (via Microsoft Outlook).

I tought that the Blackberry will come with its software for calendar/contacts/tasks --- but I see it sync with the Outlook only. 

I would like to continue  to use the desktop software from Palm and sync it to Blackberry.

It seems it is not possible.

Is it?

I got used to the Palm E2 and never used the Outlook before. I like the features from Palm but BB does not work with it. Why it does not work?

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Taylor 

Please use plain text.
Battlesword

Re: BB Curve 8330 and Palm Tungsten E2-- sync and desktop use

Have you received a solution to your problem?  I have the same problem and am very unhappy that I was told the Palm would sync and it doesn't appear to do so.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TaylorZs

Hi,

You will not be able to use the Palm and Blackberry at the same time. BB makes sync only with Outlook. But the good news is that Palm also will sync with Outlook. So nothing is lost.

Sync the Palm to Outlook, then sync the Blackberry to Outlook. Continue to use Outlook. You won't need the Palm since is useless once you have all info into your Blackberry. 

The only one feature missing in BB is that you do not have portable documents as it is in Palm. Hopefully the builders will think about fixing that in a couple of new editions to come.

I love my Blackberry and it is easy to forget that is so different than the Palm.

If you really like your Palm and cannot get used to the BB then i suggest you get a Palm phone from ATT-Cingular.

is much bulkier than the Curve 8330 I have.

I love my BB Curve 8330.

I learned it pretty fast and I gave my Palm E2 to my cousin.  

Now all depends on how fast learner you are and how much open are you to new.

Good luck! 

Please use plain text.
TRivera

[ Edited ]

I am having alot of trouble trying to use the Device Switch Wizard on the BB desktop.  I can not get my contact/calendar data to transfer from my Palm Desktop to the BB desktop.  The option is greyed out.  Not sure why the option is there if I can not use it.  Any suggestions?  I called Sprint's BB help desk and all they managed to do was delete all my contact information.  I do not want to make that mistake again.  HELP!

Message Edited by TRivera on 03-17-2009 03:29 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TaylorZs

I first sync the Palm with the computer on Outlook, then I installed the Blackberry program and then I sync the BB with the computer.

I am not sure if this helps you but that is how I did and had no problem.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChuckCT
My Device: Curve 8330

I am trying to help my husband switch from his Palm Treo 600 to his new Curve 8330.  Yesterday I followed some instructions from another thread to transfer his contacts over, but now realize that I do need to sync to Outlook to catch his calendar, memos, etc as well as the contacts.  Is this right?

For those who've been used to Palm desktop (which I love!), how do you like Outlook desktop?  Does it handle tasks and memos well?  I'm trying to decide if I should also switch over to a BB 8330 from my Palm Tungsten E.  Any advice on whether/how to switch would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Michelle (for Chuck)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TaylorZs

Hi Michelle,

yes, first you just sync with the computer your Palm, then is a good idea to save those files so you have a back up to all.

Then sync the Blackberry to the computer.

In the beginning I did not like too much Outlook since I was so used to my Palm E2. But after a while I forgot how the Palm looks and I enjoy my Curve.

I got also used to the outlook.

The only thing I don't like about Blackberry is that I did not figure yet out how to load on it portable documents. I could have that with Palm.

Otherwise I like the BB. I am with Verizon, and I never had any problems with Blackberry all across country, is really working well. 

Enjoy!

Taylor

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChuckCT

Hi, Taylor,

Thanks for the input!  I've managed to sync my husband's Palm with Outlook, now just need to set the 8330 to sync with the Outlook.  Hopefully, he'll be all set then.  For myself, I'm still a bit concerned about the memos, so not sure if I should make the switch as well.  You mentioned docs, which I've only done a few times on my Palm.  I used a lot more memos, sorted by categories.  The BB tutorial refers to memos, but i haven't figured those out yet, and don't see where they would go in Outlook.  Do you know?

Thanks,

Michelle

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TaylorZs

[ Edited ]

Michelle

if you open Outlook then look down left lower corner. Under the bars for Mail, Calendar, Contacts.

You see a bar Tasks.

There you can set up all your tasks. Just as you were doing in Palm.

Or if you like sticky notes, then go one more bar below the Tasks and there you see three little icons.

The first from left is a yellow square.

That is like a sticky paper.

Click on it and will open the window for notes.

Then in the upper Left corner you will see the New icon with the same yellow square sticky paper like icon.

Click on New and a little sticky yellow opens, write your note on it and close.
It saves.

Now sync your BB with Outlook.

On BB you will have between the Apps MemoPad. This is the sticky notes :-)

Another App on BB is the Tasks (Is a little white icon looks like a legal pad with a red check mark on it), there you find all your tasks, from outlook.

On BB you also can create new Notes as well as Tasks.

Hope this helps.

I know is a bit different than Palm but you will fget used to it shortly and I am sure you will like it.

Since you say you did not use documents with your Palm then you won't feel as frustrated as I was. But I have my thumb drives and got a 500GB portable small; just little bigger than the BB.

If you go online you can download many other applications once you get familiar with your BB.
Like ring tones and stuff.

Enjoy!

Taylor

Message Edited by TaylorZs on 04-27-2009 10:50 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChuckCT

Taylor,

Thanks - that was very helpful! 

One more question, but it's a big one.  I did the first sync of the Outlook with BB, and it all looks great except the calendar didn't come over to BB.  At the salesman's suggestion, I tried a sync of calendar only, with setup for Outlook to completely overwrite "the device," but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Michelle

Please use plain text.