Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
ptswilson
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

BB Desktop Software 7.0 update will not synch contacts from Yahoo!

I have a Curve 8520, and I use Yahoo! for my email and contacts.  I updated my desktop doftware to version 7.0.0.59 and I can no longer synch my contacts.  The only sources the drop-down menu offers are Outlook and Windows.  Can I downgrade my Desktop Software to a previous version (which ded recognise Yahoo!)?  Or is there another solution?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BB Desktop Software 7.0 update will not synch contacts from Yahoo!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, you can do either...but, the reason that Yahoo was removed from the latest Desktop Software for wired synchronization is because wireless synchronization of Yahoo contacts was implemented in the latest versions of BIS:

• KB22430 How to enable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

If you still wish to fall back to prior Desktop Software versions, post 15 of this thread has links:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptswilson

Hello Guru III.

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried KB22430, as you suggested, ticked the Yahoo contacts box on my Blackberry, waited 4 hours, but no contacts are transferred.  Is there anything else I should check or uncheck to get this to work?

Any other ideas?

Paul.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...that's supposed to be all, but I honestly have not done the exact process you are doing, so I can only surmise what should happen. Try the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptswilson

Thanks again for your suggestion.  I have done everything you suggest, but still no joy.  And I cannot synch Yahoo contacts by cable either, though the email itself works OK on BB.

The Help article "Prerequisites: Synchronising organiser data over the wireless network" on the BB says, Your BB device must be associated with an email account the uses a BB Enterprise server that supports this feature.  For more information contact your administrator.  You must synchronise your organiser data using the synchronisation tool of the BB Desktop Manager.

I seem to be going round in circles!  Any more suggestions, or do I just abandon the idea or synchronising contacts?

My other unrelated issue is that the Curve 8520 is desperately slow in downloading internet pages.  Are all BBs like that, or is it just a feature of this model?

Thanks for your support.

Paul.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

ptswilson wrote:

And I cannot synch Yahoo contacts by cable either,

You would have to fall back to a prior Desktop Software version (something pre-version 7) to have that capability back again.

ptswilson wrote:

The Help article "Prerequisites: Synchronising organiser data over the wireless network" on the BB says, Your BB device must be associated with an email account the uses a BB Enterprise server that supports this feature.  For more information contact your administrator.  You must synchronise your organiser data using the synchronisation tool of the BB Desktop Manager. 

That help article sounds to not be updated for the newer capabilities of BIS. With the prior versions of BIS, indeed only OTA email was provided...but BIS has been updated to include OTA calendar and contacts under certain circumstances. The fact you were able, in the BIS configuration, to activate wireless Calendar tells me that your BIS system has been updated for this feature. So that help article you were looking at is simply out of date.

ptswilson wrote:

I seem to be going round in circles!  Any more suggestions, or do I just abandon the idea or synchronising contacts? 

I can't think of any...but there are dozens of potential articles in the public KBs that might be useful...you might try some searching there to see if there may be anything more useful:

Plus, given this is a BIS-based service, a next step would be to contact your mobile network provider for formal support. They could escalate into RIM if needed, so that even more "behind the scenes" observations could be made.

ptswilson wrote:

My other unrelated issue is that the Curve 8520 is desperately slow in downloading internet pages.  Are all BBs like that, or is it just a feature of this model?

Oh? Always? Under all conditions? Depending on how "slow" it is, that could indeed be causal to a lot of things. If, for instance, there is something wrong with your basic data network connectivity performance, that could then affect everything that depends on that connection. Further, if it, due to this, cannot maintain a stable connection with Yahoo when attempting to synchronize your contacts, that could impede it's ability to do so.

Has it always been slow? Or is this a new condition?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptswilson

Hello again,

I have finally got a solution to the original problem.  On the BB i deleted my Yahoo! email account and then added it again.  I ended up with a lot of duplicate contacts, both from Yahoo!, but I was able to delete the set which did not claim to have wireless synch, and the other set seems to be OK.  So problem solved (I think).

As regards the slowness of loading internet pages, this has always been a problem.  It is less of an issue when I am very close to my Virgin Media hub.  I have used other non-BB smartphones, which are much faster.  And my daughter's Iphone is loads faster (but then it is more than twice the price).  So I wondered whether all BB's are slow, or just my model (Curve 8520).  I can understand if it is just this model, as Virgin had loads of 8520's at £10 per month about 20 months ago.  But if they are all the same, I will go for something different when my 2-year contract finishes.

Paul.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent deduction on figuring out how to get the wireless contact sync to work! Well done.

As for "slowness", well, that is a relative judgement...it is very difficult, without something quantitative, for anyone to really say if what you experience is "normal" or not...purely qualitative (and subjective) information is very difficult to do any sort of comparative analysis on. But, from what you state, your issues are mainly when you are out of WiFi range and strictly using your carrier data network...hence, that would be where your issue lies.

However, your 8520 is I believe limited to either 2G or EDGE...and does not have the capability (due to it's relative age) of 3G (or 4G, as that emerges), which would be a definite limit on it's speed over the carrier data network...a newer BB would, naturally, have the ability to utilize the more modern higher speed data networks that the carriers are deploying. So, if your daughter's iPhone has 3G capability, then it quite naturally would function much faster than your older technology 8520, even over the same carrier, since your BB cannot use the 3G network and is constrained to the slower/older carrier data network technologies (2G/EDGE).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptswilson

Thanks for your help.
Paul.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.