Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
orbrewking
My Device: Q10
Accepted Solution

BDS v7 Install/Upgrade Failure - Error 1722

I cannot get Blackberry Desktop Software ver 7.0 to upgrade from ver 6 or perform a clean install.  Everything I have tried results in the same Error 1722 message:

------------------

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action RegisterBbDevMgrPs64.dll.07D232B6_7904_4970_8...  [OK]

------------------

When I try to upgrade or install, the installation software appears to run normally and without error until the install 'completion bar' is about 95% done.  Then the Error 1722 message pops up, and the install software performs a "roll back' action and closes.

System info:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

64 Bit OS

Running install from Administrator profile.

Anti-virus turned off

Actions resulting in same Error 1722

- Tried to perform auto Blackberry Desktop Software upgrade from Ver 6 (which ran fine)

-  Uninstalled Ver 6, downloaded full Ver 7 install package and tried again.

Any help is appreciated.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BDS v7 Install/Upgrade Failure - Error 1722

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
orbrewking

Thanks for the link..no luck...that thread basically instructed me to do what I've already done...uninstall the old, download the new, and reinstall the new...which is where I get stuck...the new will not reinstall.

I'll probably just try to roll back to ver 6, and turn off the auto update feature...ver 6 seemed to be working fine.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, perhaps "basically", save perhaps for the things optional in Step 2...some have found that doing those additional things was required to accomplish a truly clean removal.

Rolling back is of course an option that many have used as well.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
orbrewking

My read on that thread is that it was more for cleanly synching your BB device to your PC after you had been able to sucessfully uprade to BDS ver 7.  There's my problem....I can't even get it the BDS software to upgrade to ver 7....now knowing that I am in for synching problems if I am ever able to get the BDS software to upgrade, I'm not real motivated to upgrade to ver 7, but if I do, I know where to look to fix the synching problems.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

No no...I think that you are misunderstanding the intent of that process. Syncing issues are strictly related to steps 8 and 9...steps 1 thru 7 are all about getting the Desktop Software properly removed from and/or installed to the computer (for any purpose). Consequently, steps 8 and 9 would be skipped by someone who is having more basic issues, but the clean removal things included in step 2 could apply to anyone with any difficulties with the Desktop Software whatsoever.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
orbrewking

I get through steps 1-4 of that process just fine...Step 5 is where it breaks:

1) Remove any/all BlackBerry Device Software package(s) from your PC (No problem)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software: (No problem)

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software (No problem)

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your BlackBerry Device Software (No problem)

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC <-- This is the problem...This is where I get the Error 1722.

I found an old version of BDS ver 6.1 and reinstalled it...that seems to be working for now.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

As I said, the details inside of Step 2 can sometimes be critical, though as I warn, not for the faint of heart. Some find that, by doing all of those options, they can then get step 5 to work fine. But, you've not said what you chose to do within step 2, so I can't tell. Nevertheless, sometimes falling back to a prior version is the only fix for some situations.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
orbrewking