Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
nicole88
My Device: Not Specified

Backed Up but Can't Restore

I backed up all my files from my 8520 using Desktop Manager version 6.0, now I want to restore these files on to my 8310. I have the corresponding software installed for this older model (version 4.7), but it won't restore the files from the 8520 model

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Backed Up but Can't Restore

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

nicole88 wrote:

I backed up all my files from my 8520 using Desktop Manager version 6.0, now I want to restore these files on to my 8310. I have the corresponding software installed for this older model (version 4.7), but it won't restore the files from the 8520 model

Can you expand on that please? Exactly what do you try and exactly what are the results? Details please.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
nicole88

I backed up my BB 8520 using the corresponding software. This was completed successfully.

Then I tried connecting my BB 8310 with the USB, but I got a message saying the proper software wasn't installed and the computer could not recognize the device. I'm assuming this is because the BB 8310 is not compatible with the same desktop software as the 8520.

I then installed the software for 8310 (version 4.7).

When I connected the 8310 with the USB, the computer recognized the device, but I could not restore the files. It was grayed out completely.

Can I not restore files on an older model that were backed up from a newer model?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again,

You may have a couple of things confused. There are actually two parts going on...

The Desktop Software -- this is the base software, for the PC, that enables communication between your PC and your BB. It does not care what model or OS level is installed to your BB.

The BB OS Package -- this is a package, also to be installed to your PC, that is specific to your model BB and the OS level of your BB. It sort of tailors the Desktop Software with the specifics of your model BB and OS level.

So, what exactly do you have installed to your PC? Versions and all are important, and there are 4 octets to the version number.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
nicole88

Hi there,

I definitely do have things confused! I don't think I've ever installed an OS Package... or not that I can recall. Does the CD come with the BB? Or can I download the OS Package online?

I'm not with my computer right now so I don't know the exact versions off-by-heart. I remember installing Desktop Manager version 4.7 yesterday (because the BB website said the 8310 is compatible with 4.6 or 4.7). And I don't know the version I have installed for the 8520 - it was just the CD that came with the box.

I can give you more details when I get home to my laptop.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...then here's what I suggest you do...

First, make sure you have that backup file safely stored somewhere on your PC. Don't lose it.

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) If installed, remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

• Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB...be sure to search your registry for any related to RIM

• Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

• Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the most recent (6.0.1.18) RIM DTM software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

• http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • Since you are already done with your old BB, you will want the one that matches your new BB. Check, on your BB, at Homescreen > Options > About. The third line of text will guide you to what package to download. When you look at the download portal, you will be looking for the package where the "Applications" entry matches that screen on your BB.

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Retry the restore procedure:

• KB23680How to back up and restore BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

If it still will not work, you may need to remove the BB OS package, install the package for your old BB, take a new backup, remove the BB OS package for the old BB, install the package for the new BB, and then try the restore again. It is also possible that you can bypass completely the use of the OS packages. There also is a Device Switch Wizard in the Desktop Software that would actually do all of this for you:

• KB16291How to use the Device Switch Wizard to switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
nicole88

wow this is overwhelming.

Do you work for BlackBerry or RIM? Is there someone I can call that can talk me through the process?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

nicole88 wrote:

Do you work for BlackBerry or RIM?

Nope...check my auto-sig.

nicole88 wrote:

Is there someone I can call that can talk me through the process?

Not likely...RIM provides no direct front line support. All formal support starts with the carriers and authorized resellers. If you throw yourself on their mercy, you never know if someone there might be willing to help you hands-on.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates