Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: Not Specified

Backup just by dragging folders?

Total newbie with a new BlackBerry Curve 8330.

Regarding backing the thing up (the contacts, the photos, music files, everything...)

Can't I just plug the thing into a Mac with a USB cable, let it mount like a hard drive,

and drag/copy all the folders off it to the Mac?

If the thing every crashes, couldn't I then put a new mini-SD card in it, plug it into

the Mac, and drag everything back?

Will that not work?  I don't care about syncing, making incremental backups, blah blah blah.

I would be quite happy to just drag an archive off the thing once in a while as simple folders.

Along the same vein, if I wanted to take out the 1 GB SD card that's in it and upgrade it to,

say a 4 or 8, couldn't I do that the same way?  Drag everything to the Mac, turn the BB off,

put in the new card, turn it on, and drag everything back?

Thanks 

Re: Backup just by dragging folders?

No that's not possible. Why would you assume that just because its a mac it will work. 

Why would I assume that?  Because every other USB storage device, like a hard drive or camera, works that way.

I plug it in, and I can read all the files off it.

As a matter of fact, even on the Blackberry, it "sort of" works that way.  I plug it in and I can see folders of

all my media (photos, music files, etc) just like an ordinary hard drive.

It's only the address book I can't see.

You have to admit, just putting all that stuff in a "system" folder and letting me drag it to copy/back it up

would be a heck of a lot easier than installing some software package.

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes, you can do that (drag and drop with Mass Storage enabled on the Media Card) for anything in the media card.

For anything else (address book, calendar, messages, preferences, settings, etc.), no, you can't. You must use the Backup function in PocketMac.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8900

media pictures backup to mac?

Hey all,

I can't backup the pictures from my blackberry curve 8900...

In the media section there's only the music part.

How can I backup my pictures?

By the way I once backed up the pictures to another PC. Is this why i can't back it up in two places? Although i have specified in the input  that I wanted to update it on different PC/mac (for safer purposes).

What should I do to back up the pictures?

2- Why does it always open entourage and gets the backup as an attachment? It's not very practical for me plus i don't know how to use it well... Can I access it from another program? (still no pics in it)

Thankyou for your answers...