Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: WIND

Re: BlackBerry Media Sync for MAC - FAQ

[ Edited ]
Mark - If you've learned anything above and beyond what's already been posted here or on the board, then either post it on this thread or perhaps create a new thread on the board with some sort of clear subject header (ie. "How To Fix..." ). I'm sure it would be appreciated by others.
Message Edited by Apostata on 03-16-2009 07:13 PM
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

We now seem to be having no further problems with the sync between a Curve 8900 and a MacBook. Using Pocket Mac there are a few things which need to be addressed in order to get going - here's the list as far as I'm aware.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of i-Tunes loaded. (Don't ask me why!!!)

2. Click on the Blackberry symbol (device symbol) and check the following: Open each tab, contacts, calendar etc. and check the box that says overwrite device (this will wipe any entries on your device in each of the relevant programmes so make sure you have a note on your computer or that it's all in your computer - it should end up on your device).

3. Open the connection tab. Make sure that your user name and password are entered as in your computer and check the box enabling the device to open the connection. THIS was one thing that completely foxed us at first, not realising the function was there, and having no proper warning that it wasn't working - we just got "ERROR 4"

4. You should to reboot the computer before connecting the device. Connect it then press sync and you should be away.

5. After a first succesful sync you may want to go to each of the relevant boxes and check "two-way sync", also allowing under e-mail, the two devices to copy replies and e-mails sent from your Blackberry to you computer for easy reference.

6. A further problem recently encountered when trying to sync was solved by making sure the Blackberry was unlocked before syncing.

Best of luck - it's satisfying when it works - if it stops I'll be back! 

Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: WIND

Mark: how does this relate to Media Sync, or are these settings necessary for PocketMac and Media Sync to operate without having to uninstall one or the other?

Contributor

Mark, I'm not tracking this.  New user (8220) and all, on my 2 week test-drive with T-Mobile, and really, really want to sync calendar and contacts on the Mac.  I don't want a data package and T-Mobile was the only service where I could get a Pearl for free without it.

Anyhoo, when you talk about finding the BB device signal, clicking on a tab, etc., are you talking about doing it on a program in your Mac?  On the BB?  I can't even get the PocketMac program to open on my Mac. I've been posting all over the forum and it seems that noone (except you) has figured out how to sync with a Mac.

Everything else about this phone is swell, and despite my Macophilia it suits me better than an iphone.  Except for this.

New Contributor

I have BB Curve.  I was able to sink it to my PC and for awhile with my Mac.  Recently I have not been able to sync to the Mac (I only sync the Address book and the Ical).

I tried everything I could read about the sync process including reinstalling the SW several times.

Well I finally got it to work.  I had the USB cable plugged into a port expander which does charge the BB and does connect to the BB (I get the connection image on the BB).  I remembered that I installed the port expander before I noticed the problem.  I had a brain wave that I should try another USB jack. 

I plugged it into the other jack on the Mac KB and I'm able to sync.  Albeit I still have some minor issues due to all the screwing around I did to try and get it to work. ( I use this USB jack for flashdrives).

Don't know why.  This has been a real PIA and the BB support is really lacking.  I would not have gone the BB route if I had known how poor the support from RIM really is.

Hope this helps other out.

New Contributor

Thanks for the hope MarkB.  When you have time I would love to hear the solution.

I have a BB 8330 that replaces my sadly out of date Centro.  I am trying hard to transfer my data.  So far I got to send my contacts to Entourage and then mobile me and now am trying to use Pocketmac to put the .mac data into the BB.

Like for others, Pocketmac freezes halfway through.

I was trying to stay with Verizon, but realize that iPhone may be the only answer.

New Contributor

im not able to open pocketmac on my MACBOOK PRO. I have the issue of the icon bouncing up and down. I uninstalled and reinstalled so many times i lost count, Can you help
New Contributor

So thanks MarkB I used your tips and was able to sync many of my addresses, some double or even triple copied and some with the accompanying addresses, but many without the accompanying addresses.

I will try the calendar items next.

After the Pocket Mac completed it's (long) sync, it then would not respond so I had to force quit it and then restart.

Oy vey!

Contributor

I probably can't be of much help as I am not familiar with syncing the BB with anything other than a Mac. The freezing happened to me as I said, but it was solved by ensuring that each of the steps I described were fulfilled in that order. The oddest trick seems to be having i-tunes loaded - though I don't know if that applies with a Centro.
Contributor

Yes, that first sync does take a while. We hgave had the odd occasion when the programme needs to be forced to quit, but if you go back to the check boxes and make sure you're only syncing what you need to - and preferably only in one direction - this seems to minimise the problems.