Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 (5.0.0.1113)
My Carrier: Play

BlackBerry backup file & third-party app data

Q:
1. Does the Desktop Software really back all data up during creation the backup file ?
2. Are there the specific third-party application data – Opera Mini Bookmarks – saved to the IPD backup file ?
3. Is there any possibility to retrieve my Opera Mini Bookmarks from BlackBerry.ipd backup file ?

I did new backup file before upgrading BlackBerry OS. The OS upgrade process restored all applications previously installed but all my Opera bookmarks disappeared.

I tried to recover the applications data from the backup file via BB Desktop Software (Restore > Select device data and settings > RMS Databases) but I couldn’t retrieve my OM bookmarks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BB Curve 8520 / BB OS v.5.0.0.1113 / BB DS v.6.0.1.18 / Opera Mini v.7.1.3355

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry backup file & third-party app data

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

empan wrote:

1. Does the Desktop Software really back all data up during creation the backup file ?

Well, yes and no (irritating, I know). If by "all data", you mean the BB-specific databases stored in the protected AppMemory area, then yes. But if, by "all data", you also mean files and such in Device and/or Media Card memory areas, then maybe. To me, the safest method is via the steps provided from the link in my auto-sig on this post.

empan wrote:

2. Are there the specific third-party application data – Opera Mini Bookmarks – saved to the IPD backup file ?

Normally no...3rd party app data is normally stored somewhere in Device or Media Card Memory, not in the protected AppMemory databases. Hence, it's not normally included in the backup...but, again, the process I lay out is IMHO your best insurance to have everything to recover with.

empan wrote:

3. Is there any possibility to retrieve my Opera Mini Bookmarks from BlackBerry.ipd backup file ?

If they are stored, by Opera, inside of one of the AppMemory databases, then yes (btw, I highly doubt this to be true...I'm 99% sure that Opera can't store it's data in those databases). If they were stored in Device or Media Card Memory, then it would be a matter of you having copied that data to your PC at some point when what you need existed on your BB. Restore, as always, is dependent on a data source...if none exists, then there can be no restore.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 (5.0.0.1113)
My Carrier: Play

[ Edited ]

Sdgardne,

first of all, thank you for your valuable and kind reply.

As I’m not advanced user of the BB-device, I had tried several times to solve the problem (retrieving the particular, 3rd-party app data - OM Bookmarks) and finally found solution to the issue:

1. Downgrade the Opera Mini v. 7.1 to the Opera Mini 7.0 version

2. Restore the app data: RMS Databases from .ipd (or .bbb) backup file

(for Desktop Software v.6.0.1.18):

Device > Restore > Select backup file (.ipd) / Select Data to restore > Select Device Data and Settings [option] > choose from the list: RMS Databases > OK

P.S., there is something wrong with Opera Mini 7.1, it can not initiate to restore its own data from RMS Databases.

[Edited per request of empan]

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Given what you have discovered, it sounds like you have a question for the developers of Opera.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code