Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8830 - Connection Problems with Desktop Manager

Hi Everyone,

I have had my 8830 for over 2 years. I have never had a problem with it.

I originally synchronized the 8830 with ACT! (I believe) to import contact information. About a year and a half ago, I moved from ACT! To Outlook Business Contact Manager. I never updated my contact list. I continued to use the 8830 as a phone and an email reader and responder. (Email composing was better performed on a computer with a full size keyboard.)

This week I made the decision to move all of my contact information from Outlook Business Contact Manager to Outlook. I spent quite a few hours reorganizing and updating contact information in Outlook after I imported the P.S. file. One of my goals was to upload the new contact list to the BlackBerry. I thought the hard part was done.

This morning I downloaded and loaded the version 5 of BlackBerry's Desktop Manager.

After installing the software, I plugged the 8830 into the USB port, and the device was recognized for a short time.

I consistently receive a disconnected message in the header of the Desktop Manager window.

A few things to make mention of, and maybe the easiest way to do it is to just list them:

1. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager according to the detailed instructions listed here on the site, with no difference in connectivity.

2. If I go into Device Manager I see the BlackBerry SD listed under Portable Devices and BlackBerry Smartphone listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers. (There are no yellow exclamation points. The devices are working properly.

3. If I go into System Device in Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point for Intel(R) Active Management Technology - KCS. I have uninstalled the driver; but, each time I plug the BlackBerry into the USB port, the device and the yellow exclamation point reappear.

4. I plugged the 8830 into the older computer on which the device was first synchronized. I saw the same type of notification... the 8830 appeared to connect at first, but, it did not stay connected.

5. I read on this forum that low memory could possible cause connection problems. I currently show 15796880 bytes free, and 47841280 bytes total. I have performed a hard reset on the 8830, there are no applications running (other than native BlackBerry applications). I have deleted emails. Is the 15796880 a realistic amount of memory, or is there something that I can do to increase the free memory?

6. Although I cannot get it to repeat with regularity, there were times when wiggling the cable at the 8830 connector would cause the Desktop Manager to attempt to connect with the device, and then it would show disconnected. (I supposed this is what bothers me the most. I would suspect the connector on the 8830 could be the problem; but, maybe it just aggravates the connection problem.)

7. I have used three different USB cables and two different USB connections, with the last being in the back of the computer.

I am really at a loss. It's probably time for a new phone; but, I would like to avoid that hassle.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff