Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
diamondsexywalk
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Curve 8310 Smartphone

Please help. I installed the following software "Blackberry v4.2.2 for the 8320 Series Wireless Handled", ( not sure if this was the right programme as I could find software for my 8310),  but can find where the logo is to open the program.  I have checked in my "Add/Remove Programs" section and found that the installation has been completely installed.

Advice greatly received

JSanders
Solutions: 6,030
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Curve 8310 Smartphone

IF you hae the 8310 model, then installing the 8320 OS software will not do anything for your BB.. it won't even work.

IF you want the latest OS for your 8310: 

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/151886-latest-os-8310-4-5-0-108...

That ^^ is OS 4.5. As long as you follow the directions in the link EXACTLY as written and IN order as written, you will be fine.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
diamondsexywalk

Hi thanks for that, I have followed the instructions to the letter and installed the programs, problem is that when you state to "Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager", there is not Icon there for me to click on!!, do I have to log off and log back on, or is it lying on my system somewhere?

An icon for he Device Manager has appear but cant open.

Thanks again

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Please send the PC operating system you are using.

and the version of Outlook you are using,

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
diamondsexywalk

Hi

Not quite sure if this is the info you need, but here goes:

System

Microsoft XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

If not, please let me know the location to find the details.

Thanks 

New Contributor
diamondsexywalk

Hi I forgot to provide the info for Outlook.  I have the email on my system, but it is not connect to anywhere, I dont use outlook for email, I use hotmail, and my blackberry.

Hope this helps and thanks once again

Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Your installation is corrupt.

Here is the BB database article that explains it:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12205&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Use this link to make sure you have a clean install of the current program. This will save a lot of headaches.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

You can use the latest version of Desktop software if you like, it's version 4.6, you can load it here: DO NOT load the media manager. It is a very unstable program.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 

Reboot your PC after the un-install, and then install desktop 4.6. Make sure you configure it for your specific setup.

Let us know if you need any more assistance.

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor
diamondsexywalk

Hi the download went like a dream, thanks, only problem now is that I cant open the Media Manager.  When I go to Media Sync it tells me that I should install iTunes and then restart computer.  In the bottom left hand side of the screen it shows that my device is connected.  Is it Ok for you to call me if I give you my number, as I am not sure where you are, so that you can talk me through it, cause you have been of great help so far.

Diamond

Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Glad to hear it worked!

If I known you were going to download the Media Manager, I would have advised against it. It' not a stable program, and is the cause of alot

alot Desktop Software problems.  Search the forums and you will see what I mean, I would suggest you don't use at all.

If you don't have a media card, I suggest you get one. Keeping all media on the card, leaves device memory free to run the BB.

If you do have a media card, you can drag and drop your media files to the card via Windows. Your BB will show up as a flash drive.

As as far as Music. Use Media Sync, very stable program and easy to use. One word of caution when transferring itunes.

BB doesn't play DRM protected music. You may not be able to transfer and play some of your iTunes music for this reason.

Media Sync will show a little red lock indicating the DRM status. Here is a link to Media Sync, demo and download"

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/media/mediasync.jsp

Hope this helps!

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star.

Just check the post that had your answer!

Thanks 

New Contributor
nancyh1030
My Device: BB 8310 Curve

I've read the thread on the issues with the desktop/media manager.  I've downloaded the media manager and desktop manager twice.  I've even downloaded the desktop manager by itself and installed the software for the media manager last.  So really all together I've uninstalled twice and am now trying to install the media sync.

I also have an issue with my SD card.  My phone and PC (XP SP2) can't be read and isn't seen in explorer as a flash drive either.  I've tried several times.  I"m assuming the pins on the bottom of the SD card are put over the pins on the under side of the phone in the SD slot.  I"ve taken it out so many times I still can't get it to read.

I'm going to reach a point soon, very soon, where I take it back.  It's not worth the headache with I'm spending more time trying to figure out and troubleshoot than it's worth it.

N