Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
mshafiq
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Desktop Manager and Outlook 2007 synchronizing set up

I have just received a Blackberry Bold replacement handset from Orange, UK.  When I have tried to set up synchronizing, the option to link to Outlook is not there, there is Outlook Express but I use Outlook 2007.  Before the replacement was sent everything was okay and working.  Spoke to Orange ten times, they told me to completely uninstall Desktop Manager and then re install, I have done this but there is still same problem and no soultion was identified, they told me to contact Blackberry.

I wish to set up synchronizing with Outlook 2007, how do i do this, your help would be really useful, thanks.  I have Microsoft XP, Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 and Outlook 2007 as default email.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager and Outlook 2007 synchronizing set up

Hi there!

I can't tell which of this will be redundant to what you were otherwise told, nevertheless I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
simonbramble
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

This is a problem with your registry, so you have to correct registry entries made by Blackberry AND Outlook.

Desktop Manager looks at the registry to see what organiser programs are installed. If it cannot find Outlook where it should be, it will not list it in the Available Desktop Applications.

Other posts on this subject seem to relate to fresh installs of the Desktop Manager, whereas I have been using DTM v6.01 (with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010) successfully for the last 5 months, then suddenly it stopped working.

This is what I did to resolve the problem:

Do a clean removal of DTM by doing the following:

Remove DTM using add/remove programs

Delete all Research in Motion directories in the PC file structure

Go into the registry and delete all Research in Motion entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.

Search the registry for all ‘Research in Motion’ entries and deleted them too.

(the above is detailed in article KB02206):

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206

Register the atl.dll file as detailed in KB04840.

Reboot.

If this does not solve things, proceed as follows:

You now need to correct the Outlook registry entries. I repeated the steps above about 5 times with no success. Unless the Outlook registries are corrected, you will get nowhere.

Insert the Office 2010 CD and run a ‘Repair’ – this will take about 10 minutes. Just to be safe, I rebooted then I ran the Office Repair facility again.

I then reinstalled DTM and Outlook was now present in my Available Desktop Applications.

I did not bother with the operating system software on my PC, although I did open up DTM and ensure I had the latest version of the operating system installed on my handset.

Incidentally it is also worth reading posts where Lotus Notes (as opposed to Outlook) does not appear. This is affected by the same bug.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you for your addition to the continuing evolution of how to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of the RIM Desktop Software. Can you clarify one point, please?

simonbramble wrote:

You now need to correct the Outlook registry entries. I repeated the steps above about 5 times with no success. Unless the Outlook registries are corrected, you will get nowhere.

Insert the Office 2010 CD and run a ‘Repair’ – this will take about 10 minutes. Just to be safe, I rebooted then I ran the Office Repair facility again.

I am not clear on this point. Are you saying:

• Manually search the registry and remove Outlook entries, and then run the Office 2010 Repair process

Or are you saying

• The Office2010 CD "Repair" process fixes the Outlook registry entries

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
simonbramble
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

[ Edited ]

Good point. My post is unclear.

I did the latter. I did not have the guts to remove Outlook registry entries. I manually deleted the Research in Motion entries, but let the Outlook disk correct the Outlook registry entries - assuming Microsoft knows more about the registry than I did. It worked

Please use plain text.