Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
parman929
My Device: s2

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager software could not connect to the update server

[ Edited ]

Sounds more like a band-aid fix vs a solved issue.  Why should I have to rollback my current software (5.0.0.607) on the BB to a previous version when the Desktop software (1.0.3) was released AFTER the phone update took place?  Does RIM monitor these forums?  I couldn't locate a phone number to call into RIM to get customer support.  Anybody know how to reach a live RIM support person?

New Contributor
devcpu0
My Device: Storm 2

You're right but now i can WORK, at least!

I don't know how to contact them, sorry.

New Contributor
hillhaus
My Device: Storm2

For fun, I decided to remove the mass storage card from the phone and then connected it to Desktop Manager.  No luck.  I can sync all I want but when i try to update applications, I still get the message about not being able to connect to the updagte server.

New Contributor
JonathanDodds
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 2 9550

Downgrading my BlackBerry Phone is not a useful option for me. v5.0.0.607 fixed some (different) issues.
New Contributor
JonathanDodds
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 2 9550

I'm not content to 'soldier on'. I'm looking for a real fix to this issue.
New Contributor
michelwillard
My Device: Bold 9700

I also am having this issue. For solutions, I have tried having my Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac "forget" the device, ejecting either one or both of the Blackberry disks mounted on my desktop when the Manger connects and still no success. I do have some applications I would like to remove from my BB Storm2 9550 and usually find doing that through the Manger much easier than doing it through the device. Interestingly enough, I had a BB Bold 9700 and did not have this problem, though that was probably before the latest software update. I would definitely be interested in any ideas people have. Thank you!

New Contributor
hillhaus

I have been successful twice in getting the application list to download and to update by taking the following steps:

1.  Sync with Desktop Manager for Mac.

2.  Backup the phone.

3.  Update applications.

4.  Make sure to use the Start button on the right side of the window, not the update button on the left side.

New Contributor
michelwillard

hillhaus,

I synced my Blackberry Storm2 9550 with Desktop Manager for Mac and backed it up. When it came to updating my Applications, I was uncertain of what you meant. When I run Desktop Manager for Mac, there are 4 icons on the right side of the application window (Backup, Restore, Applications, & Sync). On the left is an icon for the device itself, but clicking that just allows me to select the device I want to work with. Usually I try to Update my Applications by clicking the Applications icon on the right side, which usually results in a message indicating it cannot connect with the update server. Another way I have attempted to update my applications on the Blackberry is to select the Device menu in my Mac's Menu bar for the Application and scroll down to "Applications . . ." Going that route has the same result. I'm not sure what you meant when you referred to the Start button on the right side or the update button on the left side. Can you clarify that for me? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

New Contributor
hillhaus

Once Desktop Manager for Mac comes up and you are connected, the first thing to do check your Device Options by hitting that button.  Set up whether you want to sync automatically or by hitting the sync button.  Make sure the "Check for Applications Update" box is not checked.  I think if this box is checked, it will not allow manual Application Update.   Sync either automatically (set up in Device Options) or by hitting the sync button. 

Secondly, when sync is done, hit the backup button which will bring down a screen allowing you to select how you want your phone data saved on your computer and let that operation finish. 

Third, hit the application button.  You should get a list of all apps on your phone.  In that window there are two buttons at the bottom of the list of applications.  Hit the Start button, not the  Check for Updates button.  You should get a screen that applications are updating.  Your phone will then reset. That is it!  Good luck.  I was able to make it work again today.

New Contributor
michelwillard

hillhaus,

I followed the steps as you outlined and still no success. Sigh! Any other ideas?