Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizone

Blackberry Desktop Software Hangs on Startup

I installed the version that came with Curve 8330 (Verizon), on Dell Latitude 620 running Vista Ultimate. The Desktop started with the blank weavy screen but no menus. Hourglass. I waited for 30 minutes. No progress. I uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded the most current version 5.x.x.x from the support site, installed, rebooted, and started the software again and I received the same results. Get hourglass for over 30 minutes.

I can start Devise Manager and it shows that my device is properly connected.

I tried starting with Outlook running, and without outlook running.

Nothing seemed to make any difference. The Desktop does not start at all. It hangs before it even shows any menus or anything on the screen.

At this point i can not transfer my outlook contacts, Calendar, etc. to BB. How do I get the Desktop software to run?

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software Hangs on Startup

I would recommend Desktop Manager, version 5, Service Pack 1, withOUT the Media Manager. Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

I would uninstall what you have, and make certain you get the version advised above.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizone

Thanks for the suggestion - but that did not solve the problem. Below is the detail:

• I uninstalled as suggested. (I think I had the same version (V5 SP1 or 5.0.1)
  • Downloaded the V5 SP1 Without the Media Manager from the link provided in the Reply by J Sanders
  • Installed the new version.
  • Started the Desktop Manager -- Still the exact same problem!! (Waited for over 10 minutes)
  • Rebooted
  • Started the Desktop Manager -- Still the same problem. The Desktop Manger hangs with weavy screen and no menus on it. (Waited for over 15 minutes before forcibly closing the program)
  • One more thing, in the System Tray  it shows the BB icon with Red X on it and when I move the cursor on it, the tooltip says "Disabled -- Desktop Manager" :-(

Thanks.

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Ok, I hate to say... here are instructions to perforum a CLEAN uninstall on Vista.

KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: 9550 Storm 2

I have had the same issue that with BB Storm 2, Windows 7, Outlook 2007, Norton 360 the desktop manager hangs up when you open it.  I have tried the clean uninstall and reinstall of desktop manager without Media Manager and it doesn't change anything.  I have found if I just leave it for 15 minutes, it eventually "unhangs" but then if I connect my balckberry Storm 2 it won't synchronize and just hangs up again.  This time for good.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Telus

I have a similar problem with my Bold 9700. I can't get past the Device Manager popup window that says "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer"

I also have Windows 7 (mine is the 64bit version), Norton and Outlook 2007

My Device: Bold2 9700
My Carrier: Telcel

I have the exact same problem.

ive uninstalled (clean uninstall) and installed as adviced but nothing seems to happen different.

Ive also performed a clean uninstall with the UAC (user acces control) desactivated and nothing different.

Does anyone have a solution?

I cant sync with outlook 2010 ant this version (desktop 6) was supposed to fix this problem.

Maybe its time to switch to iphone?

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm wondering if this is Norton as I have the same problem too, but only after a Norton install. I have Outlook 2010, Norton 360 v4. and windows 7, 64-bit. I cannot run the software. It simply creates an empty windows frame (such that I see my desktop through it). I un-installed and re-installed that I had the latest 6.0 version. And still not luck.

It's really annoying to be honest. I had to wait until version 6.0 just to get it to sync to outlook 2010. And as soon as that is running, it dies. My wife chose and Android phone and doesn't need to plug in to sync as all here contacts and calendars and emails are google. Instead I pay for Office and I assume there's a fee for BB desktop s/w factored into the purchase of the device, and nothing works.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Ok, I have a fix! It was indeed Norton. I had to turn OFF sonar protection in my Norton 360 v4. Software as it was blocking the BBerry desktop s/w but not telling me. It works fine now.

Typical norton product. I only found this out as some application I had developed was blocked from running by Sonar and automatically deleted following a required reboot. I immediately google and found that Sonar is particularly over zealous and comes up with a lot of false positive hits. Blackberry desktop being another such example.

New Contributor
My Device: tour 9630
My Carrier: tmob

Hi all, as the original post was many years ago, i certainly HOPE the original poster has found relief. But others like myself just encountering headaches trying to save data. The solution for me was to install an older version of DM (501_b049_multilanguage), and MagicBerry3 to get IDP files off my BB. When installing DM v 5 unselect Media Version during install. BUT after install is complete, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, find and delete DM Media Version. Turns out, it installs anyway, but is not seen in DM dashboard. Once you remove Media Version, the gray box with "connect device" warning disappears. Hope that saves someone 36 hours of headache!