Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Desktop Software Installation Problem

I had a problem with Roxio Media Manager continuously wanting to reinstall.  So I fixed that problem and and uninstalled the Blackberry software. I then tried to re-install the Blackberry Desktop software so I can syncronize my contacts on my home computer.  I have tried this from a downloaded version 4.6 and with the version on my Blackberry CD.  Same problem with both.

The install starts and asks for language, then the install starts for a couple of seconds.  Then I get this message:

Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.

I can't get past this message.  It does not say where the log file location is.  Other software installs, it is only Blackberry software that will not install.  I tried renaming CSmiley IndifferentProgram Files\Common files\Installshield and making it read/write, but this install still fails with the same message.

Any ideas to try?  Anywhere else that I can go for help?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software Installation Problem

hello Andy,

help is here :

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks, that worked.

I unzipped the file, then I opened a cmd window and manually ran msiexec with your Blackberry msi file.  I added a /L flag to put the logfile into a local logfile.txt file and everything went fine.

Perhaps you are specifying a problematic log file name, at least for my computer?

Anyway, this new version of Blackberry software works fine for keeping my home contacts up-to-date with my work contacts.  I'm glad I was able to install it without the Roxio media manager.  That program was driving me crazy.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

I got the same problem. However my Blackberry desktop software won't install. I just tried the disc and they new version on the blackberry website and it just say "Blackberry Desktop Softare stopped working". Can someone Help this issue?