Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Desktop Software Issues v4.5 & v4.6 (v4.3 OK)

[ Edited ]

I'm having issues with the BB Desktop Software v4.5 and v4.6.  The issue is that immediately following the error-free installation of the software, my computer starts taking considerably longer to fully boot (as determined by the icons in the task tray -- network icon for example).

Details:

Dell Optiplex 755, 2GB RAM

Windows Vista Business w/SP1 - Fresh install

BB Desktop Software v4.5 w/MM or v4.6 w/MM

Logged in as the Administrator

Virus software has not yet been installed

With no BB software installed, the boot completes about 5 seconds after logging in.

With v4.3 (packaged with BB from Verizon) the boot completes about 5 seconds after logging in.

With v4.5 (downloaded from BB) the boot takes about 30 seconds after logging in.

With v4.6 (downloaded from BB) the boot takes about 2 minutes after logging in.

NOTE: I have not even launched the BB software or plugged in the BB since it was installed.  I installed the CD (or download), rebooted as required by the installer, and the problem exists.

The timing is consistently repeatable.

As soon as I uninstall the BB Desktop Software, boot times return to the normal 5 seconds from login.

I initially had the problem with v4.6.  It's a new computer so I downloaded the latest version.  Seeing the significant increase in boot time, I uninstalled.  The problem went away.  I reinstalled, it came back.

I uninstalled v4.6 and tried v4.5.  Same general issue, although the boot time dropped from about 2 minutes down to about 30 seconds.

I uninstalled v4.5 and tried v4.3 (packaged with BB) and the problem is gone.

I read about the media manager folder monitoring, but 1) I haven't launched MM to tell it to search, 2) this is a brand new install, so there is no media on it (other than the standard samples that come with windows), and 3) the delay occurs on every boot, not just the first one.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Any ideas?

Message Edited by dencoboy on 09-19-2008 06:11 PM
Message Edited by dencoboy on 09-19-2008 06:12 PM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software Issues v4.5 & v4.6 (v4.3 OK)

dencoboy wrote:
Any ideas?
Just configure the Desktop Manager so that it does not load at startup.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:

Just configure the Desktop Manager so that it does not load at startup.

It's not configured to load at startup, and indeed, it does not load at startup -- it is just slowing the entire boot/login process.

Message Edited by dencoboy on 09-23-2008 11:45 AM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Make sure when you install new Versions of DM you do a clean uninstall:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

I would not download media manager as it has proved to be a problem applications. Use the search box in the upper left hand corner

to see what I mean. I prefer to use WIndows drag and drop. Or you might be interested in Media Sync, stable, free, Blackberry program

Here is a link and demo:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/media/mediasync.jsp

Sounds like 4.3 was quickest for you, I'd stick with it!

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star.

Just check the post that had your answer!

Thanks 

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-23-2008 02:32 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Roxio Media Manager was the culprit.

I went back to a clean install of Vista (Vista + Drivers + Windows Updates), then installed v4.6 with Media Manager.  I got the expected long delay at boot/login time.

I went back to a clean install of Vista (Vista + Drivers + Windows Updates), then installed v4.6 without Media Manager.  The long delay is gone, and I'm at my normal 5 seconds to fully loaded following login.

It was mentioned above, but just to clarify, I unchecked all of the auto-start / icon checkboxes during install.  This problem occurs immediately after the post-installation reboot of v4.5 or v4.6 with Media Manager (and with all subsequent reboots), before ANYTHING has been launched.  The installation of the software is all it takes to cause the problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Message Edited by dencoboy on 09-23-2008 03:51 PM
Guru I

Glad you are good to go!!

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

I also ran into this issue on a machine with XP Pro SP3 and v4.6 of the Desktop Software with Media Manager.-- long delay from login to fully loaded.

Removing v4.6 from the machine resolved the issue with the long delay -- login to fully loaded is down to a few seconds.  I have not tried installing v4.6 without Media Manager (and probably won't at this point as I'm moving to new hardware with Vista).

Summary:  This issue is not a Vista-Only issue.  It occurs with XP Pro SP3 as well.

New Contributor

I'm glad I came across this forum and saw others are having the same issue. I tried to install v4.6 on the CD that came with my Bold from Rogers Wireless (I already had v4.5 and a 7290), and my time was close to 4 minutes. I went to the extent of using various registry cleaners, defragmenting, and I even reformatted my hard drive (now realizing it wasn't really needed). I am on an HP laptop running XP SP3, 2 GB RAM, and lots of hard drive space. I followed the advice here and installed v4.6 without Media Manager, and I'm back to a few seconds between the Welcome screen and when icons start to appear.

I guess my next question would be how to now transfer media files, or at the very least trying to optimize both audio and video files for the BB. Should I purchase a Roxio product and just drag & drop it to the Bold? I have Nero 7 Ultra, but I have yet to install it until I figure out for certain I can do something similar with Nero 7. Or, should I just wait for an update to DM (although from what I read it seems Media Manager has always been a problem).

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I prefer just using the drag and drop through Window, quick, efficient, and no overhead from other programs.

You do have to have a media card installed. Simply plug the BB to the PC via the USB. The BB will show up as

a removable drive.

Also read the link about Media Sync and see it you like it.

If you need more information, please ask!

If you do need further help, I would ask you to start another thread.

You will have more users read it and therefore more support,

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-27-2008 04:44 PM
Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-27-2008 04:45 PM

Contributor

I've been using drag and drop for most podcasts and music. However, I started using ITunes as a way to download video podcasts, and eventually stopped using Juice, (which is a cross platform podcast downloader.) The problem here is that I cannot find a way to drag and drop video onto the SD card on my curve- I think Roxio has to convert the files. In the meantime, I've had to stop using DM altogether. 

I believe BB must take a more proactive approach in fixing DM's multitude of problems. While I had it back working for a while, I am getting runtime errors (again) when I want to sync, and now it is practically unusable.

The stand alone Media Sync was a good idea, except we are given no controls on what we wish to transfer. Having had my Curve for a month, I believe this is one of the most impressive pieces of hardware I've ever used. What a pity the software has become such a basket of problems.