Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

wibwob
My Device: bold

Re: Blackberry Desktop won't install on Windows 8

I have tried this (removing the space in my user name & creating a new user name) still unable to install.....  I have enabled the net.framework 3.5 too..........

Any other suggestions??

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markstack
My Device: Playbook

WTF...I just removed the desktop product using Control Panel and the driver files and reinstalled the desktop software.  Still could not connect to the BB Playbook.   The desktop product then said there is a new version of the OS which I loaded and it wiped out my Playbook. 

WTF is going on here BB?   Can comeone from the company please F*&^ing reply to this thread.  I have now lost all the pics and videos of my nieces' weddings and various other files. 

:Censored:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

markstack wrote:

Can comeone from the company please F*&^ing reply to this thread.

I see you are upset, and perhaps did not notice this information presented at the top of every page of this site:

BSCF User Comm.JPG

Do also please keep in mind that, technically, you are using a configuration that is not supported:

Using any platform that is outside of those specific details must be considered to be at your own risk.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markstack
My Device: Playbook

Technically, I don't understand what you are saying. Here is an excerpt from the link you sent me:
Software requirements
Windows® XP SP3 or later, Windows Vista®, Windows 7 or Windows 8If you’re using a 64-bit Windows XP computer, you must install a hotfix from Microsoft®. Learn about and download the Microsoft hotfix.

Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or an active Internet connection
iTunes version 7.7.1 or later, or Windows Media® Player version 10 or later, for music synchronization
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh! Between when I posted that and when you read it, they updated that requirements page! So now it moves into the "supported" world. Sorry about that...they were quick!

Cheers and good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gba127
My Device: BB BOLD 9900

Here we are in April 2013 with Windows 8.  BB Desktop will not instal properly even with the latest 7.1.0.42 version om the website.

Everything goes fine until RIMDESKTOPHELPER has stopped working

Tried everything.  Net 3.5 installed and checked

repeated Remove Reboot CC cleaner Revo uninstaller cycles

repeat redownload cycles

So far hours taken faffing around about 5 (conservative estimate)

Carrier says help limited to uinstal reinstal options. RIM wont talk to me but refer back to carrier

If RIM are unable to make a software which will run on the latest operating system (now out for 6 months) or are unable to support it or identify where the problem is, it does not speak well for the future. 

Ironically contract is now up for renewal.  Any help before I jump ship

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gba127
My Device: BB BOLD 9900

Possible Solution.

My windows 8 install was an upgrade install as opposed to a clean install.

I have been compelled for other reasons to refresh my windows 8 installation.  Beware before doing this.

This seemed to involve a long process whereby all apps (that includes programs such as Word Outlook etc) will be deleted to win.old director and require to be reinstalled.

This included the reinstallation of the BB Desktop. 

During re-install of BB Desktop I noted that it took a long time to download

the .net 3.5 runtime

then the C++ 2008 runtime.

It however now appears to work.  I am thinking that during an upgrade install even though .net 3.5 is ticked it is not in fact installing this properly and when installed the RIMDESKTOP helper is having problems interacting with the .net 3.5

It also appears to have cured the modem problem where BB Desktop was giving a wrong port.

Anyway it may be that the resolution to this and a number of other problems is a clean reinstall of Windows 8. 

This may be a drastic solution but providing you take proper steps and are prepared for the consequences is better than the absence of anything else offered..........

A better solution would be if RIM allowed people to download a diagnostic program to resolve such errors or instituted better checking of the Windows install before attempting its own install or correcting any deficiencies automatically.

Hope this helps someone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jengland001
My Device: blackberry curve 9800

You are absolutely correct. You need to install net framework 3.5 for blackberry desktop manager to intall. Hope others can find your post. This can be a rather trying experience and may take a while to get done.

Please use plain text.
Victor211057
My Device: Bakcberry Torch 9800

Hola. Yo tengo un blackberry torch 9800 y tengo problemas con windows 8 cuando quiero usar el modem (tengo windows 32b). 

He descubierto que se trata de algo que se instala/ejecuta despues de salir del desktop manager.

Así se corrige transitoriamente: 

1) conecta el blackberry

2) desinstala el software

3) instala de nuevo el software

P roblema resuelto hasta la proxima vez que necesites usar  el BB como modem.

Saludos

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Victor211057 wrote:

Hola. Yo tengo un blackberry torch 9800 y tengo problemas con windows 8 cuando quiero usar el modem (tengo windows 32b). 

He descubierto que se trata de algo que se instala/ejecuta despues de salir del desktop manager.

Así se corrige transitoriamente: 

1) conecta el blackberry

2) desinstala el software

3) instala de nuevo el software

P roblema resuelto hasta la proxima vez que necesites usar  el BB como modem.

Saludos

Hola y gracias por participar en el foro,

Para tu comodidad, BlackBerry tiene su propio foro comunitario en español:

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.