Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
ozoro
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: EE (UK)

Blackberry Link and Password Keeper

Hello guys

I upgraded to 10.1.0.4181 on my BB Z10, as well as losing all my text messages (is there a fix for this?) all my Passwords in Password Keeper have disapeared.

I DID back up before the upgrade. I have restored my data from BB link to my phone, but still no Passwords in Password Keeper. In the old Desktop Manager it was simple to restore only certain data.

How does it do this with BB Link?

BB Link gives me the option of Documents, Media, Settings as seperate restore options. What I am looking for is to respore only Password Keeper or even SMS, this was possible previously with Desktop Manager does anyone know if this can be done with BB Link?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ujwalnambiar
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Blackberry Link and Password Keeper

[ Edited ]

"BB Link doesn't back-up passwords on password keeper." WRONG INFO, Actually it does

--

If my post has helped you, give it a LIKE :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozoro

Nooooo!!!!

BB link doesn't back up Password Keeper? Then wants the point of Password Keeper?

The beauty of Password Keeper in the older BB's was your passwords followed you everywhere but were safely backed up. Surely if BB Link doesn't support Password keeper Then this should be made public.

I will personally start a campaign to publicise this terrible flaw!!! 

Please let me know if this is a certainty, is there any documentation to support this?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
ujwalnambiar

Sorry mate, made a mistake. I take that back.

It is possible!
--

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozoro

Wow,

got scared there, but I suppose you don't how either?

regards

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
aiharkness
My Device: Passport & PlayBook

I reloaded the OS on my Z10 the other day and restored the full backup I had made just prior.   Passwords were backed up and restored.  So as far as I know, Link backs up passwords.

If you have a full backup, first thing I would try is selectively restoring just the password keeper database.   That's assuming you can do selective database restores with Link... I haven't tried yet.   But if you can do it, you will see whether or not the password keeper database is there, and whether it has any data in it.

If you don't have passwords in that backup, look in older backups if you have them.

If that doesn't work, I think I would try deleting password keeper and then reinstalling it.

- Ira
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozoro

Hello Ira

I did a full backup prior to the upgrade, then restored immediately after the upgrade.

That was over 12 hours ago, if I do another full restore I will lose information from today (I suppose I can live with that)

I was seeking to restore only 'password Keeper' data this was easy to do with Desktop Manager - BB link doesn't appear to give this option, unless anyone can tell me differently.

Why do companies like RIM go backwards with technology or lose vital bits in an attempt to improve :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Developer
ujwalnambiar

I havnt yet had the need to backup my passwords using password keeper.

So sorry, I gave you the wrong info earlier.
--

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
aiharkness
My Device: Passport & PlayBook

So there is no option to selectively restore?   That stinks.   I was afraid that was the case.

If you do a full restore you will lose the new data since the backup.

I have a feeling the password data is there.  Did you try doing a reset?   That is holding the power button down until the device shuts down and then BlackBerry comes back on the screen during booting up?  (I think some say to use the volume up and volume down button method.  I don't know.)

Also, I think if you delete the app the data will still remain (assuming it is there).   I would try that next.  Reset the device, then install the app again.

Worst case, restore an older backup.

Good luck. 

- Ira
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozoro

Thanks for all your help guys.

No thanks to RIM support - no response to any contact. 

Solution (as suggested by some previous contributants)

Just do a security wipe,(took hours) then upload the 10.1.0.4181, told me to do this twice !!! - restored by previously backed up files from BB link and Bobs your Uncle i got everything back, including Password Keeper and all my passwords.

Needed to reset my email settings, evernote, Facebook, Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk.

hope this helps anyone in the same position?

Please use plain text.