Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
maxx
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Media Sync Problems

Just to pick up on the other thread where my complaints about the media software choices were also posted, Windows Media will recognize an SD card in (at least) your Curve. The file organization is superior, and it is MUCH faster. I can't call this "solved," especially since some of you have had other kinds of synching issues, but if you found transferring Podcasts, videos and songs to be a pain, WM works quite well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem Solved!

Just for the heck of it, I had Microsoft Windows Media 10 running, and I plugged in my Curve. This time, WM recognized the SD card in the phone. I tried dragging my music and podcasts files into the Sync column, and son of a gun, it worked! Transfer speeds are awfully fast too, with this SanDisk 8GB mini card I got from Amazon for $28.00 (can you imagine? Eight Gig for that price!) 

In any case, although it is fashionable to dump on Microsoft, the WM interface works smoothly and efficiently, not only with transfers, but with updating, gathering and organizing content from folders all over your computer, whether from dedicated Podcast sofware like Juice, but also with ITunes, which I am using more frequently these days, and collected downloads from EMusic, Amazon and Napster.The choices given by RIM just had me wanting to kick the cat. I'm glad this works.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
3rugger

Its been a while since I tried WM for syncing, but doesn't it just sync with the root of the removable media?  When I tried it I could not get it to sync with the device:\Blackberry\Music folder which meant manually moving files there after the sync or browsing for music using the explore option from the Berry.  Is that still the case?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
maxx

3Rugger,

I use WM with my BB as I use it with my MP3 players. I connect it via USB, wait till WM recognizes it, hit the ync tab, and drag and drop songs and podcasts into the sync column. Then hit the sync button, and the files load quickly.

In other words, I don't do a wholesale sync of all the media I have. I don't know what you mean when you say "manually moving files there after the sync."

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
briantrease

Maxx,

Does the sync work both ways for you?  That is, when syncing, does your BB update WM and tell it what tracks were played and when?   

This is pretty crucial for automatic podcast updating, that removes tracks once they've been listened to.

Thanks!

Brian

Please use plain text.
Visitor
pres16

I have the same problem.  Desktop Manager syncs correctly with calendar, address book, etc. and I can get to the media card through Windows Explorer.  My device PIN does display properly in both Desktop Manager and Media Sync.  However , neither Media Manager nor Media sync connect to my device.  Here are my particulars:

BlackBerry Curve 8330

BB OS: 4.3.0.127

Windows XP Professional: Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111:smileyfrustrated:ervice Pack 3)

Desktop Manager: V4.6

An interesting observation: The message I get in Media Sync is "BlackBerry Media Sync failed to connect toyour BlackBerry device.  Click Connect to try again or Cancel to disconnect."  However, the 2 buttons that show directly below are "Retry" and "Cancel."  Just thought that might be helpful in finding the bug.

Please use plain text.
zoominoff

I have had the same problem with songs missing from my 8GB SDHC card.

This 999 file limit is the best theory I have heard so far as to what might be happening.

Has this been confirmed as a bug? It's been quite frustrating to deal with- I have tried many different sync tools (Roxio, WM, MediaSync, some random tools I found online...)

I'd like to dump my iPod (hey, one less device!), but if my songs are missing I can't do it!

I don't mind the long re-indexing time- it's the missing files that is a real killer.

Any info?

Please use plain text.
fatmommacat

Hello... New to the forum...Downloaded the media sync. The play list on the BB phone works but the only prob i have is that some of the files it cant downloaded because (im guessing) they are protected. I dont get it. I bought the songs so I should be able to put em on the phone  !! ugh. Anyway around that?
Please use plain text.
SDR
New Contributor
SDR
My Device: 8830

Yes.  Its a pain, but it works.  The iTunes files are Protected AAC mp4 files.  Burn them to a CD, and then import them back into iTunes as mp3 files.  You can then download them to your BB thru Media Synch.
Please use plain text.
SDR
New Contributor
SDR
My Device: 8830

I forgot.  To import into iTunes as an mp3, in iTunes, Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using: MP3 Encoder.

Please use plain text.
Developer
viverant
My Device: You wish.

This may be my personal opinion but DRM = epic fail. Use iTunes to manage your music sure, but use something more user friendly (read DRM-free) like the Amazon MP3 solution for getting music. Tis a shame its not availalbe outside of the US yet...
Please use plain text.