Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
BenJr
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Media Sync Problems

Yes 3rugger, I Backed up everything using the Desktop Manager.

Then I did the "Wipe" selecting the removal of Third Party Applications because I thought that maybe something on my device was causing a conflict.

When the BlackBerry was done with the Wipe, I tested out Media Sync to see if it worked, and it did.

Then I did a Restore of the device using the Desktop Manager and Media Sync still worked.

Now I'm putting back the few Third Party Applications that I had, one by one, to see if I can figure out what was causing the conflict.

I am a BackUp fanatic so I do have copies of my Third Party Applications so everything is going smoothly.

Hope this helps.

BenJr

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
michaellawyer

Everytime I sync with BB Media Sync onto my VZW Curve, my music list takes about 5-10 minutes to populate.  Does anyone know what I might do to fix this problem?
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Dealer

[ Edited ]

We’re attempting to get to the bottom of the connection related issues with various devices.  Using the errors that have been reported here, we’ve been running tests on these devices to see if we can consistently reproduce the problem – but thus far we can’t reproduce the issue and haven’t been able to track down the root cause.

We know of two possible workarounds to these issues:

1. Performing a security wipe: Be certain to backup all the data and 3rd party applications on your BlackBerry before you perform a wipe – as they will be lost and need to be restored afterwards.

As suggested in this forum, performing a security wipe on the BlackBerry has been shown to fix the connection problems.  This can be done on the device in the ‘Options’ menu, under ‘Security Options / General Settings’.  Pressing the BlackBerry button will give you the option to wipe the handheld. 

1. Checking for corrupted USB drivers: We’ve experienced cases where the Windows USB driver has been deleted or corrupted on the system.  If this happens, than MediaSync is unable to connect to the device.  If this is the case, the BlackBerry likely won’t appear in Windows Explorer as an available drive after you’ve plugged it in.

You can check for this by searching your file system for the file Usbstor.inf – if this file is missing, you’ll have to get it from an install cd or a working installation of Windows and copy it to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder (followed by a re-boot).

If this file exists, but you still have the rest of the symptoms, you should backup the current Usbstor.inf and replace it with a copy from another computer or install cd and re-boot.  If this has no effect or causes further problems, you can easily switch back to the copy of usbtor.inf you backed up.

To help us track down the root of the problem more easily, it would be very helpful if anyone reporting connection problems with MediaSync could provide us with the following information:

- BlackBerry Model

- BlackBerry OS Version (Options | About)

- Desktop Operating System

- Do you use Desktop Manager?  Does it detect the Blackberry as expected?

- With Mass Storage enabled, does the drive appear as expected in Windows Explorer?

Message Edited by Beholder on 07-28-2008 02:05 PM
Please use plain text.
gkanapathy

I believe I have a bug in the current version of Media Sync such that it won't sync songs that iTunes accesses via a network path. iTunes works perfectly well with files that are stored using network paths, as opposed to local drive letters.

If your iTunes music is stored using a CIFS or UNC path, e.g. "\\server\path\to\music\song.mp3", then Media Sync won't sync it. It says "Some music was not copied since it cannot be placed on your BlackBerry device. Click here to see the list of songs that were not transferred to the device." When I check the list, every item that is on the network path is listed. (Actually, I will note that the path listed is wrong, as instead of "\\server\path\to\music\song.mp3", Media Sync says "\\\server\path\to\music\song.mp3", i.e., with an extra backslash, two instead of three, at the beginning of the path.

On the same computer, with the same copy of iTunes, if I copy one of the songs listed to the local disk (to a path with a drive letter), add the local disk copy to iTunes, and sync with Media Sync, it works fine and I am able to play the song on my BB afterwards too.

I have the latest version of iTunes, v7.7

I have a Curve 8320 with OS 4.5, Applications 4.5.0.52

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
svengali

I have a 8GB Sandisk microsdhc card with Mobile mate Micro Reader and a 8820.

After facing many frustrations, I discovered how to handle this problem of loading and reading the Media Card card on the 8820.

READ CAREFULLY:

I totally ignore the Blackberry Desktop (in my case the latest version) and the Roxio Media Manager. To do otherwise is to follow a path to misery and tears.

This is what works:

1. Load the media card in a card reader (in my case the Mobilemate Micro Reader)

2. Format it to its full capacity - around 7.5GB

3. Create Folders for docments, music, photos and videos etc

4.Load the folders with the desired files.

5. Replace the card in the 8820

6. It works!

Occasionally, (perhaps while syncing the address book), the Media Card creates new Folders, esp. Blackberry. These will show up on the card when you load the card through the Card Reader.

Delete all the new folders. My experience is that these interfere with the use of the Media Card.

So you do not need to change the Version of the BB Desktop.

You only need a SDHC Media Card Reader (mine came with the card).

Now I enjoy a huge collection of music and photos on my 8820

Please use plain text.
ander038

I have the same issue:

BB Model: 8130

BBOS : 4.3

Desktop Manager works fine...

with Mass storage enabled, Windows see's the BB as a drive.

Addititional:  the Media Sync DOES at some level recognize the BB as it correctly identifies the PIN.  However, I get the same error, can't connect.

Regards,

Gene.

Please use plain text.
msantilli
My Device: Bold

@michaellawyer 

Can you be more specific about the issue?

When you say it takes 5-10 minutes to populate, do you mean the playlists do not appear in the list for 5-10 minutes?  Or does it take 5-10 minutes to actually copy the music to your Curve?

Also, how many playlists do you have and how many songs do you have in iTunes?

And finally, what are the specifications of the computer you’re attempting to do this on?

As the size of the music library grows, it does take longer to parse the library; however, it shouldn't take nearly that long.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
msantilli
My Device: Bold

@gkanapathy

The issue regarding UNC paths has been previously reported. We are actively investigating solutions.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
michaellawyer

I have a VZW Blackberry Curve.  I "synced" around 600 songs onto it.  When I open the  Media application on my blackberry then go to "Music"  then to "All Songs" I find only one or two songs there.  If I leave it open the songs slowly begin to appear.  The entire list took about 35 minutes when I tried this yesterday.

I wouldn't mind too much if this only happend once, but everytime I turn off my Blackberry, then turn it back on again, I have to go through the same darn process of waiting.  This I DO mind.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Thomas6449

I was having the same problem with my Blackberry Curve (8330).  When I tried to sync with BB Media Sync, an error message would show up.  I tried the "wipe" suggestion (even after backing up, what a headache!) and it still did not work.

I ended up taking the MicroSD card out of my BB and putting it into my Laptop and deleting all the empty BB folders (especially the music folder), but I did leave my BB picture folders as the pics in it are associated with my address book.

I reinstalled the card and ran BB Media Sync and it worked fine.

The only issue I have is that I can not put DRM protected music that I have purchased on the BB, which is a nusance, now I have to find non-DRM versions of songs I want on my BB.

Hope this helps.

Tom

PS. I am running Windows XP Home SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop.

Please use plain text.