Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
time00
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 1
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Media Sync continues to display "Please connect a Blackberry Device" when Blackberry Storm is connected to PC

About a 2 months ago when I would connect my blackberry storm (the first Storm) to my computer via the USB cord that came with the phone, I was able to transfer music from my computer (itunes) to the blackberry through Blackberry Media Sync with no problems (open Blackberry Media Sync, connect blackberry to computer via USB, and Media Sync screen would change so that I could sync music to the blackberry storm). I didn't even have trouble installing Blackberry Media Sync back in December 2009

But now after I connect my Blackberry Storm to my computer, the Blackberry Media Sync screen does not change and continues to display "Please connect a Blackberry Device". I have tried these tips that I found online:

1.) restarting my computer (windows vista) several times

2.) updating/reinstalling Blackberry Media Sync and then restarting my computer

3.) reconnecting blackberry to computer, then opening Media Sync

4.) opening Media Sync first and then connecting blackberry to computer.

5.) installing  BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers (even though I can't find the USB driver for it under Universal Serial Bus Controller when I check in the Device Manager when you go to Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Device Manager, but I did find RIM Virtual Series Port v2 COM4 & COM5 when you check "devices by connection" under View in Device Manager) Or are RIM Virtual Series Port v2 COM4 & COM5 the drivers I'm looking for ?

6.) Going to Options (on blackberry) - Memory and making sure Media Card Support, Media Transfer Protocol (MTO) and Mass Storage Mode Support are set to "On", Encryption Mode is set to "None", and Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected it set to "Prompt" though I have tried "Yes" as well. It says I have 785MB of free Device Memory space out of 879MB of total Device Memory and 7.1GB of free Media Card space out of a total of 7.3GB of Media Card space.

None of the above tips and troubleshooting advice has worked. I have also checked the Blackberry Technical Solution Center but I haven't found anything from there that has helped either. I have found online forums/discussions including issues of people having "blackberry media sync cannot connect to the device" pop-up, but I haven't had this pop-up. The Media Sync screen just stays the same as if I never connected the blackberry storm to my computer in the first place even though my blackberry storm is charging via the computer.

Is there something I'm missing or haven't done yet? What should I do?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Office2Mobile
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Media Sync continues to display "Please connect a Blackberry Device" when Blackberry Storm is connected to PC

time00,

Lets see if the computer is able to identify that something is plugging through the USB. Right click My Computer and select Properties to open Device Manager.

Click on the plus sign next to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Plug in you BlackBerry Device.

- You should notice a entry for RIM Composite Device or BlackBerry Device will pop up.

If you continue to have issues i would download and install both BB Desktop Manager and BB Device Software.

Also have you attempt to us another USB port?

Hope this helps,

Office2Mobile
Poor Service and the Worst Support provided by VarDynamics http://vardynamics.com/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
time00
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 1
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Media Sync continues to display "Please connect a Blackberry Device" when Blackberry Storm is connected to PC

Nevermind. I went to a Verizon store and they told me to take out the battery and then turn the blackberry back on. Worked like a charm and I can now use Media Sync.

I was also told that I need to update the blackberry phone software through Blackberry Desktop software (I have version 4 and need to update to 5) and to make sure to choose to backup files when prompted during update or you will lose any files, media, and info saved on blackberry. 

Please use plain text.
roderick2007
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

none of this works. everything just keeps on stalling. i have to wipe the phone and re-install the basic rogers software. unreal. this will be my last beeberry.

Please use plain text.