Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry vs Palm Pilot

I have been using the Palm Pilot Desktop Software.  I would like to know how the Blackberry program compares.  Is there someplace where I can look at what the program does, or download a sample so I can see if it will fit my needs.  Before I pay a lot of money for a phone I want to see the program.   Thanks.
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Blackberry vs Palm Pilot

The two applications don't really compare. BlackBerry Desktop Manager allows the device to sync with other applications (Outlook, Notes, etc). Basically BDM is just a translator. Palm Desktop Software is the application that the handheld synchs with.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Blackberry vs Palm Pilot

BlackBerry is aimed at a very specific market - Handling email and PIM synch, which it does very well, especially in a business environment.  It does not have as wide a range of available software as the Palm, but then it wasn't designed to be a pocket PC.

One of the major differences that BlackBerry has is how it handles the email.  BBs use 'push' technology, where the Blackberry server is always in synch with your mailbox and pushes the mail out to your device as soon as it arrives.  Most other devices such as the Palm/Treos have to request the mail to be pulled down, either on a scheduled interval or on demand.

posted by DigitalFrog
WARNING: May contain traces of nuts.