Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
rgururaj
My Device: Not Specified

Bluetooth as sync medium

Hi,

I need to sync my phone (8130) with my desktop (mail, calender etc) using bluetooth. The option to use bluetooth is Grayed out in the Blackberry Desktop software. Can you please help me with the setting hanges. I have no issues with Paring my phone with my laptop.

Regards,

Guru

Regular Contributor

Re: Bluetooth as sync medium

Your Blackberry will only synch when the Bluetooth Dongle is natively supported by Windows.  Do a search on Bluetooth at the Blackberry web site in support.  Basically, if you have MY BLUETOOTH on your desktop or task bar and Widicomm installed, you cannot synch.  You have to use a bluetooth dongle that works out of the box without having to install drivers from a CD.
New Contributor
rgururaj

Thanks Frank! for the quick reply. so you mean i need to buy a USB bluetooth Dongle to get this feature? I already have bluetooth - Widicomm. On my HP Laptop.

Regards,

Guru

Regular Contributor

Yes.  BB will only work with Bluetooth Dongles that are supported by Native Windows Drivers.  My Bluetooth and Widicomm are third party drivers.  If you go do the search at Blackberry Support for Bluetooth, you will find an article that refers you to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that lists the supported devices.
Regular Contributor
bogomip
My Device: 8707g

I also have a HP laptop, same problem, Broadcom bluetooth that is working flawlessly with Windows otherwise, though not mentioned on that MS list, which is also a couple of years old if I remember this right. I still don't know how to solve this. Some people on other forums have successfully edited a inf file, to get Windows to support the device. (I am afraid of doing that). Picking up a USB BT isn't the easiest thing either; to know if it works natively on Windows. The whole thing just beats me, the point with BT is that it's universal, things should communicate. Seems to me this should be solved by RIM, since its their phones that are not working on all computers.
Regular Contributor

The bluetooth Dongle that you can purchase through the RIM website will work with Blackberries.  You will have to go into your Device Manager and disable your built in Bluetooth.  

In the meantime, you should complain to HP and to Rim about getting their act together. 

Regular Contributor
bogomip
My Device: 8707g

Thanks Frank, I shall have a look at this one.

(AND ask the two of them to sort this out)