Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

ShortyD
My Device: Not Specified

Can't get Desktop Software configured properly to work with Outlook 2007 and Blackberry 8703E

I have a Blackberry 8703E and I have Outlook 2007 on my laptop. I keep trying to install the Desktop software but don't know what option to choose, how to configure it to recognize Outlook, etc. My goal is to be able to sync my contacts, appointments, tasks, etc. between the laptop and my Blackberry. I have no clue what I am doing or how to install and configure the software to work.

Also, I am going to uninstall the Desktop software and want to know what the link is to download the most current version that will work with my phone and my laptop (running Vista). I do not subscribe to the Blackberry service but only want to sync between my computer and the phone.

PLEASE HELP! I am not knowledgeable in this stuff and any detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Wade Rearic
ShortyD

Re: Can't get Desktop Software configured properly to work with Outlook 2007 and Blackberry 8703E

Can someone PLEASE help me out?  I feel as though I've wasted money on my Blackberry because I'm simply not utilizing a lot of it's capabilities.  I'd really like to set my Desktop Software up correctly so that it will sync with Outlook 2007.

Thanks much!

Wade Rearic 

WMDRyeNY

Re: Can't get Desktop Software configured properly to work with Outlook 2007 and Blackberry 8703E

Don't know if you got your answer by now, but thought I'd try to help.

First, let me preface by saying I use Vista, not XP, but my Outlook is 2007.

Next, you need to be careful as to which versions of the software you use both (a) on your Blackberry desktop and (b) on your Blackberry itself.  For example, I use the 8703e via Verizon, but so far the phone's software only goes up to 4.2, which is two iterations short of Blackberry's latest smartphone software.  Why do they do this?  Because they typically introduce the new software via a new phone via an "exclusive" with a certain carrier, leaving all other users to either salivate or switch to the "exclusive" carrier.  Over time (6 months to a year) the "new" software may get rolled out to patient users with (by then) "older" phones, but they clearly want to incentivize consumers to just upgrade to new phones via special carriers.

As for the Desktop software, it is easy to get tripped up here, as Blackberry's download site in not very intuitive for this.  Your problem could be that you downloaded and installed a Blackberry Desktop Software that is too advanced a version for your phone.  (To add further confusion, the desktop software tends to have version numbers similar to the the phone software, such as "4.2.")

Bottom line: call your help number of your carrier to get the correct info for both sets of software for your phone.

Once all the right software/drivers are installed, the Desktop interface si fairly user-friendly.  From a few choices you can backup your Blackberry data; synchronize it (if you are not already doing that wirelessly), etc.

Hope this helps.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

WMDRyeNY wrote:

Next, you need to be careful as to which versions of the software you use both (a) on your Blackberry desktop and (b) on your Blackberry itself.  For example, I use the 8703e via Verizon, but so far the phone's software only goes up to 4.2, which is two iterations short of Blackberry's latest smartphone software.  Why do they do this?  Because they typically introduce the new software via a new phone via an "exclusive" with a certain carrier, leaving all other users to either salivate or switch to the "exclusive" carrier.  Over time (6 months to a year) the "new" software may get rolled out to patient users with (by then) "older" phones, but they clearly want to incentivize consumers to just upgrade to new phones via special carriers.

Are you sure of that ? As far as I know, RIM distributes a new OS to all of the carriers, and they spend more or less time to brand it, before releasing it. Besides, I am not sure many Blackberry owners care about their OS version.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: