Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

bb_
New Contributor
bb_
My Device: Not Specified

Can't see my Media Card

HELP! I seem to have lost access to my Media Card. I can't see it in Media Manager (never could), I can't see it in My computer (have tried Mass Storage mode on and off). If I take a pic with my 8310 it will save it to the card, no prob, but I can't access the card in any way from my PC, which means I can't put music or ANYTHING on it! I have tried repairing the Desktop Software. I Have uninstalled it. I have reinstalled it. I have formatted the card (and sacrificed what little I HAD managed to put on it previously)

I don't know what else to try. Please, someone, tell me it's really simple, and that I am dumb, and I forgot to check something really obvious.... 

BroncoSam

Re: Can't see my Media Card

Same problem.  I have tried every fix recommended.  I have changed versions of the desktop software.  The darned thing worked the first day and since then it is not.  I just left the store with a new media card.  Hooked it up and have the same result.  Can't see it in My Computer either.  If RIM can't get this figured out I am switching to the IPhone as soon as the new version comes out.   Since I just bought the Curve, I will try to get them to replace the entire phone first before I spend even more money on something else.  Would love to see any posts from others experiencing the same problems and possible fixes that may be out there.
ARL
Visitor
ARL
My Device: 8300

Same issue – I  successfully installed and formatted my new 4G Media Card on my handset (and can see the new memory on the handset) but when I connect my Blackberry to my computer, and Blackberry Desktop Manager opens and I go to Media Manager, not a trace of the media card.  

The only thing shown in the "My Device" section is BlackBerry (Device Memory) 

I also have tried the labyrinth of options of Mass Storage On and Off, Encryption On/Off; Media card Support On/Off etc etc and have followed assorted Blackberry troubleshooting guides but no success. 

So has anyone mastered this problem? 

For the records I have a 8300 Curve and my Blackberry Desktop Manager is Version 4.2.2.14 

And if you’re monitoring this Blackberry – please help/comment ASAP as this should be a very simple process but has so far been extremely time-consuming and frustrating      

billstafford3

Re: Can't see my Media Card - Possible solution.

I have had the same problem with my Curve.  I finally figured out that my computer assigned my Blackberry the same drive letter as a drive on my office server.  I was able to disconnect the drive, and my Blackberry immediately popped up on my computer as well as the media manager in the Blackberry desktop.  I then reassigned a different drive letter to the Blackberry.  Now I just need to find a way to reaccess the disconnected drive.  

I did so many things to try to resolve the issue that I cannot recall exactly how I was able to determine the conflict with the drive letters, but I believe I used the Windows (XP) device manager along with generous use of the Windows help feature.

I hope this helps.

New Contributor
carina
My Device: Bold 9700

I've got a Pearl 8100 and have the same issue > I cannot see my media card, so can't manage my media files.

My desktop tells me that I need to "insert a disk into drive F:" ... which is the default for the USB port that the BB is plugged into, but will not let me explore.

Desktop Manager (v.4.3.0.17) no longer has the option for Media Manager that the original software had, that came with the BB back in Dec/07.

I installed the updated Desktop Manager so that it would speak English to me instead of some unintelligible mix of letters that seemed to make sense to it, but made no sense to me.  Was I supposed to lose Media Management in the process?

New Contributor
carina

I thought this might explain it ... http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&message.id=...

But after a re-install, ensuring I selected the WITH MEDIA MANAGER option, it still doesn't work.  :smileysad:

New Contributor
carina

I gave up and went back to the software that came with the b'berry.

v4.2

Voilà - there's the Media Manager

Forget the upgrade, I'm going to stick with what works .. and for some reason the unintelligible Intellisync type is not there this time around .. go figure ..

btw - there are only about a dozen or so threads about Media Manager not working in 4.3. 

New Contributor
svengali

[ Edited ]

I have a 8GB Sandisk microsdhc card with Mobile mate Micro Reader and a 8820.

After facing many frustrations, I discovered how to handle this problem of loading and reading the Media Card card on the 8820.

READ CAREFULLY:

I totally ignore the Blackberry Desktop (in my case the latest version) and the Roxio Media Manager. To do otherwise is to follow a path to misery and tears.

This is what works:

1. Load the media card in a card reader (in my case the Mobilemate Micro Reader)

2. Format it to its full capacity - around 7.5GB

3. Create Folders for docments, music, photos and videos etc

4.Load the folders with the desired files.

5. Replace the card in the 8820

6. It works!

Occasionally, (perhaps while syncing the address book), the Media Card creates new Folders, esp. Blackberry. These will show up on the card when you load the card through the Card Reader.

Delete all the new folders. My experience is that these interfere with the use of the Media Card.

So you do not need to change the Version of the BB Desktop.

You only need a SDHC Media Card Reader (mine came with the card).

Now I enjoy a huge collection of music and photos on my 8820

Message Edited by svengali on 07-27-2008 01:21 PM
Message Edited by svengali on 07-27-2008 01:22 PM
leleff
My Device: Curve 8900

Eureka!  That's the one piece of information that I needed! 

"insert a disk into drive F:" ... which is the default for the USB port that the BB is plugged into,"

I had a server drive mapped to F: and as soon as I disconnected it, my Blackberry card showed up! 

Finally!

fdrive
My Device: 9530

Yes - that was it for me also.  My work laptop has a default F:drive.  I just couldn't find that by clicking on that drive gave me access to the media card.  So simple but it took me going through this to look at that drive!