Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can't uninstall, modify, or repair Desktop Manager Software...Help Before I get Fired!

:womanmad: PLEASE HEEELLLPPPP BEFORE I GO CRAZY!!! I'm actually trying to uninstall Desktop Manager 4.5 and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the software to uninstall because, I suspect, it was originally extracted to a Temp folder that was deleted. Now, I can't use the typical Add/Remove Programs to remove, repair or modify DM becuase I get various errors from can't find the Blackberry Desktop Manager.msi file to error 1304 (or 1317 or 2330) saying Error getting file attributes c:\program files\research in motion\isti connectors\isgroupwise6.5x\1033 Get Last Error:23. I even tried to just delete the Research in Motion folder and that didn't even work because it had some problem with the .ico file! When I tried to navigate to the 1033 folder a message saying that the file folder needed to be formatted which in turn tries to format my WHOLE C: DRIVE! This issue is affecting my career actually. I have to convert my personal BIS BB to a corporate liable BES BB and have to use the corporate approved DM version 4.3 and since I can't get rid of 4.5 this could be a REAL PROBLEM WITH MY EMPLOYER!!! Any ideas would be so appreciated you don't even know!  
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Can't uninstall, modify, or repair Desktop Manager Software...Help Before I get Fired!

New Contributor

Re: Can't uninstall, modify, or repair Desktop Manager Software...Help Before I get Fired!

tried that but can't complete item 1 because of the problems i encounter in my original post, then when I went from step 2 on, there were 3 files I could not delete (RIMusb.sys, RIMusbNT.inf, and blackberry.ico) because it says "Cannot delete blackberry: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." 
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Based on your error messages it sounds like you might have a hard drive that is failing.

Were you avle to figure this out, because I am having the same problems...
New Contributor

d_fisher wrote:

Based on your error messages it sounds like you might have a hard drive that is failing.

I would tend to agree. You might want to run a chkdsk c: /f on the drive in an attempt to at least get things semi stable. If you sill cannot uninstall the app, you can attempt to reinstall it again to allow it to repopulate the areas where there were problems (assuming it will allow you to reinstall or repair by running the installer). If that works then you can attempt to uninstall it.

From the urgency in your post I'm under the impression you are looking for things to try, I would probably try this as a last resort step.

If everything works successfully, get a new drive and rebuilld. disk problems seem to have a tendency to return at the worst time.

[ Edited ]
You may try Add/Remove 4Good. It enable you to remove these stubborn applications for good.  It's quite easy to use and works pretty fine for me.
Message Edited by Ksawery on 08-25-2008 02:36 AM