Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
bdr127
My Device: Curve 8330
Accepted Solution

Can't uninstall previous software versions

[ Edited ]

I just got a new Curve 8330 and wanted to install the latest desktop software v4.5 on Windows XP SP2.

I previously had a 7250 and then a 8703e.  At the time I got the 7250, I installed desktop software v4.2.  When I got the 8703e, I installed the software from its CD which is entitled "BlackBerry v4.1.0 for the 8703e Series Wireless Device".  Both are currently showing in Windows "Add/Remove Programs".

When I try to uninstall desktop software v4.2, it prompts me for the "BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 disk".  I don't have a disk (I can't even remember if I installed it off a CD or from the web), so I downloaded v4.2 from Blackberry's website and tried to re-install it with the hopes that it would unpack the install files or something so I could trick the uninstall program into thinking I had the CD.  No such luck... It tells me I have a newer version already installed.

OK, so I try to uninstall the 8703e software, and it prompts me for "BlackBerry 8703e.msi" which is not on my computer anywhere.  I actually have the install CD, so I pop that in and look for that file.... Nope, not on the CD.  I even try pointing the prompt to the msi install file that is there ("BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi" ), but it doesn't accept it.  Thinking that maybe I can re-install the software to see if it unpacks that necessary msi file, it tells me that I have a newer version already installed.

So I'm basically in an endless circle.... Can anyone please help me with this?  Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by bdr127 on 07-27-2008 02:59 AM
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Can't uninstall previous software versions

I don't know why RIM's installation packages continue to be problematic.  The file downloaded and run to install DM is actually a self extracting Zip file.  The file extracts to the %TEMP% directory and the setup is run from there.

Of course, the %TEMP% directory is not supposed to hold data permanently (otherwise they'd call it the %PERM% directory???), so eventually the actual installation files get deleted, and then when you go to modify or uninstall the package, the routine fails.

Although documented in KB13699 last year, the problem appears to persist!  Try what the KB suggests - reinstall Desktop Manager!  If you need the installation package, you can download it from here.  Try to make sure you get the same version that's already installed.

TIP: When installing Desktop Manager, use WinZip or some similar unarchive utility to extract the file you download to an empty permanent directory, then run BlackBerrySetup.exe from that directory to install the package.  When done this way, the uninstall and modify routines under Add/Remove Programs should always work.  BTW - I also STRONGLY recommend using versions of Desktop Manger without Media Manager.

Jerry
New Contributor
bdr127

Thanks for your reply, but as I mentioned in my post, I can't reinstall them... They tell me I already have a newer version running. (Presumably they're looking at each other, thinking the other is the newer version.)

I tried installing a newer version, with the hopes that perhaps it would automatic uninstall or overwrite the older versions.  When it gets to the end of the installation process for v4.5, it wants to uninstall v4.2 and asks me for the disk.  The same message I got when I tried to uninstall it by itself.

This is really frustrating... I can't uninstall the older versions, and I can't even install the newer version!

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!

Forums Advisor II
d_fisher
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

New Contributor
bdr127

[ Edited ]

OK, that clean uninstall worked great.  I got v4.5 installed with no error messages.

However, there's a new problem..... When I connect my 8330 to the computer via USB, it doesn't recognize it (although it knows it's a "Blackberry smartphone" ) and says there are no drivers installed for it.  "No problem", I say to myself.  I download and attempt to install the latest USB drivers from the Blackberry website.  When I start up the install, it tells me that there is a newer version already installed... How can there be a newer version of the USB drivers than v4.5 already installed?!?

Any advise on this issue now?

Message Edited by bdr127 on 07-28-2008 02:48 PM
New Contributor
bdr127

Nevermind... I tried re-installing the desktop software, and now it finds my Curve just fine.

Thanks for your help, guys! :smileyvery-happy:

New Contributor
hfairbrother
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks so much!  This seems to have solved a problem that's been driving me crazy for a week.  The windows installer cleanup seems to be just what was needed, and I am back in action.