Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can you sync to anything other than Outlook?

I just purchased an 8830 from Verizon. I formerly had a Palm, and used the Palm Desktop software. I use Thunderbird for my email, and have just installed the Lightning addon for Calendar and Tasks. My questions are-

1. Has anyone written an add-in or conduit so I could use Thunderbid/Lightning?

2. Are there any other PIM apps for my PC that the  Blackberry WILL sync to for calendar/tasks/contacts?

(Yeah, I know...those of you who will just say "Just get over it and use Outlook" might as well save your breath. And for the record, I also use OpenOffice instead of MSOffice. I can't afford the Micro$oft upgrade fees anymore. )

Thanks,

Eric Lorenz

Re: Can you sync to anything other than Outlook?

My 8830 syncs very well with my intel iMac/ Mac OS Leopard.
New Contributor

I, too, would be very interested if any one has written and add-in to Desktop Manager to sync contacts and calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning. There's been a thread running for 3+ years on blackberryforums.com about support for Thunderbird (search Sync 7100 with Thunderbird).  Maybe if we beef up this thread, we might get some results from BB R&D... I can dream, right?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

adampuls wrote:
I, too, would be very interested if any one has written and add-in to Desktop Manager to sync contacts and calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning. There's been a thread running for 3+ years on blackberryforums.com about support for Thunderbird (search Sync 7100 with Thunderbird).  Maybe if we beef up this thread, we might get some results from BB R&D... I can dream, right?

this is more on the Thunderbird side than on Blackberry side afaik.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130100

same for Lightning/Sunbird

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
You can do it, but it will cost you a few dollars. Go to http://www.mobical.net and sign up for a free account. It's a full-fledged online PIM, but you can just use the address book if you like. Funambol has a free Thunderbird sync tool that works like a charm, which you can get from http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=149326&use_mirror=osdn&filename=Funambol-Pim-Plugin-win32-v0.4.5.xpi&53502710. Set it up using the info at  https://www.mobical.net/mobical/application/MobicalApplication.html#gwt-faq. Once you've synced your Thunderbird contacts to Mobical, get either the Funambol or Nexthaus SuncML plug-in for your Blackberry, and set it up to sync with Mobical as well. You can get a free trial, after which you have to shell out ~$30 US to buy the plug-in. You can now sync contacts between your BB and Mobical (and other PIM info too if you like).. With the Nexthuas client, you can set up an auto-sync for, say, every 15 minutes (maybe with funambol too, i don't know). So now, you have your Blackberry contacts (+ maybe other data) being wirelessly synced with Mobical every 15 minutes. When you run Thunderbird, you now nice have a nice sync button on your toolbar that you can press whenever you want to  sync Thunderbird and vice-versa.

Enjoy!

Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 11:19 AM
Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 11:20 AM
Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 03:23 PM
New Contributor

Thanks for the info...I'll have to play with it. For now, I went to the 'dark side' and bought a copy of Office XP from EBay. Got it installed. Keeping the email in T-bird for now...until I get everything else in Outlook OK. I may continue to do that, we'll see. I looked into moving all my mail over to Outlook, not an easy process.

Thanks everyone for the help...I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

Eric

New Contributor

Good luck. I can tell you from experience that if you're used to using Thunderbird, you're goign to hate Outlook--it's a terrible IMAP client and a resource hog. But good luck anwyay.... :smileyindifferent:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update to my earlier post....

Even though mobical has a nicer UI, I have decided to use www.memotoo.com instead because not all fields were syncing correctly between Thunderbird and mobical (e.g., mobile number).

Message Edited by ez-b on 08-22-2008 10:05 AM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Please read the following thread and see if it gives you any insight:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&message.id=...

Please let me know!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter