Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
Lovegums
My Device: Not Specified

Cannot sync 8830/shows it as disconnected

Now I am getting very frustrated with this thing. I do not have time to coddle this stupid Blackberry.

The problems all started with several devastating memory dumps (losing all calendar material prior to 8/1/08, all call logs, all BB messenger convos, etc). I was told on this forum that it was because memory was low. Yes it was. I deleted all pics but 3 and have no extras installed except Google, Google Maps and Google Updater. Then the momory dump happened again (and having bought a new laptop in August, I could only restore a backup that far back....I use this thing to track trips/mileage for my biusiness. All of 2008 is wiped out. 2007, too. Does not restore on Outlook..but that is a different issue). So I went to the local Verizon store...the guy there said my memory was low and it was because all of my applications were open. I did not know that you have to close each app every time you open it.  Lesson learned. I then downloaded version 4.5. The new Blackberry Desktop Manager appeared. NOW I CAN'T SYNC OR BACK UP!!!!! When it is connected via USB, it shows "connected to the desktop" for like 1 sec, then shows as not connected. Nothing happens when I click on sync or back up. I closed my antivirus etc software temporarily as was suggested. Now having spent half my day doing this, I see that the software version on the device still shows 4.2.2. And I can't tell you how many times I've taken the battery out (which wipes my preferences). Also not when I get a new message the little red thing next to the number of new messages does not appear even though I have "display new message indicator" checked to Yes. So now, using my best diagnostic skills (I am a doctor, not a tech person), I suspect that the issue is beacuse the device still has 4.2.2 on it. How do I get 4.5 on the device, especially since I cannot get the connection to stay past 2 seconds? Thank you very much.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Cannot sync 8830/shows it as disconnected

why did you install Desktop Manager 4.5 since your previous one worked ?
you need to do the clean uninstall of the existing Desktop Manager :
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/545/KB02206_f.SAL_Public.html

then install the desktop manager.

remember : the Desktop Manager is one thing, and the Handheld device software OS is another (yours is 4.2.2, just like mine).

about the battery : removing it (it's called a hard reboot) should not remove any preference on your device. If it does, then there is a problem with your device.

I have 4.2.2 and I have all the indicators I want on my Blackberry screen. Can you take a picture of your screen and post it here ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
Lovegums

I installed 4.5 because the guy at the verizon store said to. I asked about the memory dump, which has happened several times. I asked him, don't you think there could at least be a warning before it happens? And he said on the new OS, 4.5, it does, and that I should install it.

So OK the OS and device software are different.  But I cannot sync and cannot get the desktop software to acknowledge when the device is attached.

Well now the message indicator thing is working (probably b/c I took the battery out. Again). what was happening was that if there was one new message it would just say 1. Now (as before it started screwing up), when there is a new message there is a 1 next to an envelope with a cute red asterik. That's the message indicator. The difference was between the 1 only and the 1 with the envelope and asterik.

But I still can't sync or back up!

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

please re-read my message especially the first lines.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
Lovegums

Maybe there is something wrong with my 3-month old Lenovo X61 Thinkpad which is operating on XP?

Since my last post, I went to that link you recommended to unistall the previous version of DM. I wanted to print out the instructions because they were lenghthy. My computer was being real slow. Did cont-alt-del, showed performance at 100% (had like 3 IE windows open). So I restarted. When It powered back up, I tried to print agan and it said the printer is offline, which it is not. Maybe there is something wrong with the USB ports? All of them?

WTF? This has wasted my entire day. I am trying to sync b/c I am going on job interviews and some appts I entered on the BB and some I entered on the laptop (Outlook) using the BB as a telephone. This sucks.

Contributor
Lovegums

So I tried it again and it worked.....Sync and back up........I wonder if there is something telling my computer that the USB ports are busy? Oy.